Quick Refugium Question. PLEASE READ ASAP

scubachris

OK I just set up my refugium on my tank. I read the link one of you posted for me about making sure it wont overflow if the power goes out. Now That its up I have another question. If the power does go out, some water will backflow into the refugium. Fine I get that, but when the power comes back on, and the pump turns back on wont that pump all the water from the fuge back into the main tank and overflow that as the overflow vacum will be lost? Right? HELP! Very nervous here!!!!!!!

domsbuddy

Easy to test. Just cut the power and see what happens when it goes out and then again when it comes on. Better to find out while your there and can manage it than when your not.

waterlogged

Originally Posted by scubachris
http:///forum/post/2865506
OK I just set up my refugium on my tank. I read the link one of you posted for me about making sure it wont overflow if the power goes out. Now That its up I have another question. If the power does go out, some water will backflow into the refugium. Fine I get that, but when the power comes back on, and the pump turns back on wont that pump all the water from the fuge back into the main tank and overflow that as the overflow vacum will be lost? Right? HELP! Very nervous here!!!!!!!
What kind of overflow do you have?

mkzimms

whats your setup look like? is it a hang on back refuge or under the tank?
the reason you list is why im a huge fan of drilled overflows, no siphon to worry about, it just starts up again and begins working. as long as you have the added space for the water to overflow in to the refugium then your golden.
like buddy said, cut the power and see what happens. im very confident in my system, but about once a month i cut the power to make sure all failsafes are working properly anyway.

scubachris

Thanks guys. I figured it out. As long as the small tubing that comes off of the top of the overflow is in the water, when the power is cut it stops the overflow, and allows it to start up again when power is restored. I haver not gotten the plants for it yet, wana let it run for a day or so first. Here are some pics of what I was talking about. The tubing I spoke of is in the first picture.

bang guy

I think that tube is supposed to be connected to the venturi of a powerhead. I could be wrong....