R/o Story And Lfs

ohiorn67

Hi all. I have had my tank now for about 7 months and getting ready to upgrade my 90 to a 180 or more.....well I have been purchasing my water from the lfs since I started because although I finally purchased a RO machine, we had not had time to hook it up until this past weekend. Keeping in mind my tank has been fine except for some cyano bacteria driving me nutty that I have to suck out, I also did not have the little tester to test my ro for dissolved particles as what the water should NOT have since buying. Well, this past weekend got the RO hooked up...wayyyyyy awesome. Came with the little tester which I wish I knew I had here but did not realize it came with my purchase...tested new water 0. I think cool!! Tested my lfs water 125~ I was TICKED!
My tap water was about 134 so might as well have been buying tap water.....grrrrrr. 1.25 a gallon for mixed salt...NEVER AGAIN. check you water all, I am hoping now my small bit of cyano will finally cease with water changes over time......Here is my updated pic!

crzyfshygy

Awesome tank and stand..i almost purchased that one..looks killer. :happyfish What does 125 mean on your tester and what does it test for so I know?

Originally Posted by crzyfshygy
What does 125 mean on your tester and what does it test for so I know?
125 is the measure of TDS (Total Dissolved Soilds). How much stuff is in your water. RO/DI should be 1-5 TDS if i am not mistaken.
BTW, nice tank!!!! :yes:

poop_head

You guys pay for your RO/DI water!? That sucks. All the stores out here give it out to me for free. I only go to my Salt Water Fish Store to get it though. I dont trust the Petcos and crap like that.

scooter8416

Did u test the mixed salt water, or RO from your LFS??
If you tested the mixed, you were getting that reading due to all the stuff added by the salt mix.....

ohiorn67

Hi everyone!! thanks for all the great responses to my tank! Yes, purchased fresh for top off water and salt for changes, but I tested my r/o freshwater that was the one testing at 125......never again! Just made my first batch of saltwater for tomorrow, so hoping will be ready....mixing since yesterday. I got my r/o on the good ol auction site....and so far so good, was a great deal at about 69.00 and brand new. h*