Raising alkalinity for algae control?

snakeblitz33

I just read an article about increasing alkalinity for algae control. Said to increase it up to 14dKh over the course of 2-3daysand you'll start to see some algae going away. Has anyone else heard of this? This is the first time I've seen anything on this. Does anyone else know anything about this?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389069/raising-alkalinity-for-algae-control#post_3435698
I just read an article about increasing alkalinity for algae control. Said to increase it up to 14dKh over the course of 2-3daysand you'll start to see some algae going away. Has anyone else heard of this? This is the first time I've seen anything on this. Does anyone else know anything about this?
BTLDreef said to raise magnesium, not alkalinity...1400 was the magic number. I tried it for hair algae but I had used miracle mud to help seagrasses grow, and I had just too many nutrients so I had to break that tank down.
Anyway.....The magnesium at such a high number didn't upset the seahorses, but somehow on a micro level prevented the algae from being able to absorb the light it needed to live.
Perhaps your article was talking about high alkalinity having the same affect???

snakeblitz33

Yeah, Flower, something like that. It didn't go into too much detail, but it did talk about increasing alkalinity and then later it also talked about increasing magnesium as two different types of algae control. It's just that this is the first time I'm hearing about increasing alkalinity to kill an algae. I'm kind of curious about the benefits and detriments of the treatment.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389069/raising-alkalinity-for-algae-control#post_3435725
Yeah, Flower, something like that. It didn't go into too much detail, but it did talk about increasing alkalinity and then later it also talked about increasing magnesium as two different types of algae control. It's just that this is the first time I'm hearing about increasing alkalinity to kill an algae. I'm kind of curious about the benefits and detriments of the treatment.
LOL...well raising magnesium made a nasty coating on my pumps and no doubt on the inside as well. A white hard crust.

snakeblitz33

The white hard crust sounds like calcium deposits, some calcium precipitation that happens mostly on warm pieces of equipment like heaters and pumps Check your heater too and see if it built up there as well.
I guess I'm going to do more research and figure it out. There might be something to this. I'll report back in a week or so. Thanks.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389069/raising-alkalinity-for-algae-control#post_3435786
The white hard crust sounds like calcium deposits, some calcium precipitation that happens mostly on warm pieces of equipment like heaters and pumps Check your heater too and see if it built up there as well.
I guess I'm going to do more research and figure it out. There might be something to this. I'll report back in a week or so. Thanks.
Yes it ruined the titanium heater, The worst part is that it didn't rid my tank of the algae, it kept managing to bounce back in spit of everything I tried. I will never use Miricle mud mixed in my sand again. It made the macros so happy and then during the black out hair algae took hold and it just took over and choked everything.

snakeblitz33

Hmm well, when you have calcium being deposited like that it means your calcium is higher than your alkalinity, it doesn't have anything to do with magnesium. Lol. Sorry that happened though. Hate it for yah. Yes, it takes a special tank for mud. Iron and some trace is what makes most macro grow best. I dose Kent's essentials for that.

spanko

The raising of magnesium is the treatment for byropsis. The recommended magnesium supplement is TechM. 1400 - 1600 for a couple of weeks works well. Do some searches and you will find a lot of info out there.
Snake this is the first time I have heard of algae control via increase Alk. Will have to look around some.

snakeblitz33

Yeah. I'm really curious too. Still searching. I've only found one person talking about it and there aren't any references in the article. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about it. It might be worth experimenting.

btldreef

Spanko is correct, raising Magnesium is for the treatment of a specific hair algae: Bryopsis. Kent Tech M is the only one that is proven to work. I had to raise our mag to 1600-1700 to rid my 180 of it. I raised it up slowly from 1250 over 10 days and once at the desired level, we held it there for a little over three weeks, then slowly backed off. No ill effects to corals, fish, inverts, other macro algars or equipment, but it certainly was expensive to do in a 180 over a month!
I have heard of high alk for algae control, but only in fish only or softie tanks because LPS really can't handle high alk levels (nor can SPS), especially over an extended period of time. I think there probably is some truth to it. Any time that I've had high alk, my caulerpa and sausage macro (have no idea what the real name is, they just look like tiny green sausages) starts to just "melt."

2quills

Snake I thought you were already planning to attempt the Kent M??? What ever happened with that?

snakeblitz33

2q- I was just gathering info on it. Just like I am now for this algae control method. I use algae scrubbers to control my algae growth, but I'm trying to fine info on raising alk to add to an article I'm writing on nuisance algae.
I know how to do the magnesi dosing with Kent's. That's not what I am asking about.
Im wondering if anyone else has heard of increasing alk to combat algae problems.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389069/raising-alkalinity-for-algae-control#post_3435951
2q- I was just gathering info on it. Just like I am now for this algae control method. I use algae scrubbers to control my algae growth, but I'm trying to fine info on raising alk to add to an article I'm writing on nuisance algae.
I know how to do the magnesi dosing with Kent's. That's not what I am asking about.
Im wondering if anyone else has heard of increasing alk to combat algae problems.
All information that I see leads me to think it's not the best idea. Would be curious to see the info that you seen though.
When this pH is raised rapidly, through additives or a water change, the nontoxic ammonium, will be dramatically converted to toxic ammonia causing stress and fish losses. It is important to test the pH and alkalinity on a routine basis because, if ammonia is present, any adjustment that greatly increases the pH and alkalinity will also increase toxic ammonia levels.

2quills

Dang can't edit posts.
But this takes me back to our discussion on how algae consumes bicarbonate. Wondering if it could actually have a reverse effect?

snakeblitz33

Seems like it might have the reverse effect at a constant 14dKh over a period of time. Of course, I think it would be best to increase calcium with it, but maybe not? I'll continue to do research.