Raising Seahorses

ck_503

I'm not a new hobbyist really but I would like to start trying out sea-horses. I've got a tank that is already cycling that I plan to use for the sole purpose of having a seahorse or two for down the road as I learn more about them. Does anyone know of any good websites or information that could get me started? Please don't just say google either. I know they can be difficult to keep but I'm very patient and attentive to this hobby and I feel like I have what it takes to try them at least. Thanks!

lradlbeck

seahorse.org is by far the best one that I have found - maybe Jen will respond - she seems to know alot about them!
Good Luck!
Liz

aredmon

Yes I say seahorse.org. Wonderful sight. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have read almost everything on the sight and even did further research. I think I have seahorse.org memorized.

aredmon

BTW welcome to the wonderful world of seahorse. I say do homework and if you feel you can do it go for it!!

vanquish

I heard (I think on the discovery channel) that seahorses are nearly impossible to keep alive for very long in an aquarium. And that only very large aquariums have had success in keeping seahorses for long terms. The reason is because they are such fragile animals, and they tend to depress in captivity and eventually stop taking food and die. Because of this, I have never attempted keeping one. Is this information untrue?

aredmon

Yes they are very sensitive creatures and I have heard that they do become depressed on occasion but I also know many people who keep them very sucessfuly. I know they do better in a pair for they are social creatures. Vanquish what you say can happen but does not happen with every seahorse. Mostly with wild caught that is why I beleive every beginer should start off with a captive bred seahorse. They are born and raised in captivity and do well with the right care and environment.

ck_503

wow, seahorse.org is a great site! Thanks! How long should I cycle my tank before adding one? 3 months? Shorter? Longer? I'm going to use a 12 gallon and I know which species that applies to. I'm guessing I can probably eventually only have one, huh? Just curious. Thanks guys.

lradlbeck

I am looking into starting a seahorse tank when we finally buy a house (in the next year hopefully) and I have a 37 gallon cube tank it is 18" x 20" x 24" deep.
I would love to keep a pair of seahorses is there - do you think that this is a good size tank for them - I know that you are supposed to have a tank that is at least twice a tall as the seahorse is tall.
Also, I suppose that I would put some live rock in any maybe some mushrooms and zoos and plants - but that is really about it I suppose right?
They are just so darn cute - and who can't love a species where the males get to experience the *joys* of birth...

Thanks!
Liz

grumpygils

Originally Posted by ck_503
I'm not a new hobbyist really but I would like to start trying out sea-horses. I've got a tank that is already cycling that I plan to use for the sole purpose of having a seahorse or two for down the road as I learn more about them. Does anyone know of any good websites or information that could get me started? Please don't just say google either. I know they can be difficult to keep but I'm very patient and attentive to this hobby and I feel like I have what it takes to try them at least. Thanks!

Make sure you see the LFS feed them before you buy! If they eat only live, it is very difficult. I broke these two, but it takes a long time, and I couldn't of done it if I didn't work out of the house. They are really cool!
Mc

aredmon

IRadlbeck that sounds good for a pair of horses. Be careful with keeping corals with them because corals need strog lighting and horses do not. I have seen it done but I personaly wouldn't do it but it doesn't make it wrong. ck how tall is the tank you have. I have seen a pair of horses kept in a 10 gal at a LFS I go to. The lady has had them for almost a year now in there. They strongly recomend them to be in a tall tank. Seahorse.org has a section you may want to look at about type of horse and how many can be kept in what size tank.

mrdc

That's a cool pic. My wife wanted me to get some but I said that they are expensive and not for a beginner. Maybe sometime down the road, i will try them. It should mean something when you don't ever see the LFSs around here have any. Probably due to price and fragileness. I'm sure they would be more than happy to order you one

sweetdawn

i just got back from the lfs they had two seahorses for 8.99 each. they were picking at a piece of krill which is really too big for there little mouths. they are acclimating in my tank right now can see them playing with a large rubber band the lfs put in there for them to hold on to. they are a real pale color with spots. the manager said they were tank raised. hopefully that is right but 8.99 when the last one i got cost me fifty. and yes the fifty dollar one is alive and well checking out the bag hanging in his tank

vanquish

Those horses in the picture are really quite incredable. Before, i considered them to be nearly impossible to keep... I'll reconsider.

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by lRadlbeck
seahorse.org is by far the best one that I have found - maybe Jen will respond - she seems to know alot about them!
Good Luck!
Liz

here i am!!! (triumphant music in the background)
Sorry it's so late. I didn't get a chance to read everyone's posts, so forgive me if i re-post some stuff!!! I read that someone said seahorses are impossible to keep alive for very long in an aquarium, and i would like to say that is incorrect. However, it is fairly difficult. you have to have a lot of time and patience. seahorse.org is a great website. Here's a few pointers i like to tell everyone interested in seahorses:
* the tank needs to be at least 2-2.5x's the height of the fully stretched seahorse. seahorses need the height for their mating rituals.
*seahorses should be kept in at least pairs, if not groups. They can become very depressed if they're the only seahorse in a tank.
* they should be fed at least 2x's a day, 3 if you can.
*water parameters have to be perfect and constant all of the time. It's not like a normal tank where you can have 20-40ppm of nitrates... seahorses become stressed very very easily.
*having a "feeding station" is the best way to feed them. You can read up on feeding stations at seahorse.org
*they need a lot of hitching posts, so a lot of fake corals/plants
*there are only a few good tankmates for seahorses... i would suggest no starfish, because they have been known to prey on slow moving fish.. that would be a $60 mistake... as far as tank mates, cardinal fish are good, because they also move slowly.
*having real corals in the tank with them is probably not a good idea (although some have done it successfully, i wouldn't suggest it for a first-time seahorser...). Almost every coral has stinging cells in them, and even though we may not be able to feel it, it can stress the seahorse out. Also, because seahorses latch onto anything, it's possible they can smother the corals.
*having a well stocked "medicine cabinet" is a must
that's all i will bore you with now, but remember to do a LOT of research before anything. As far as then length of time you should wait before adding seahorses, i would suggest you make sure your water parameters are perfect, and add a 'tester fish' after the cycle to see if it's ready. This tester fish should be something you may want to keep with the seahorse, or something from another tank... etc. Hope this helps, and i hope i didn't repeat too much...

sweetdawn

ok one of my new seahorses is crazy i thought they didnt like water movement that much. he keeps swimming under the return flow for the protein skimmer it pushes him down and out he swims around in a circle and repeats the process. Ok hard to tell how long they are tail is curled up probably 4 inches if they were straight. hope the two new additions make it they are thin from not being fed properly.were like that when i got them. and the one i had before looks like the ones in the picture above