random question.

alix2.0

not that im planning on it, but i was just wondering...
what would happen if you were like to snap or break a plate coral? or like if a rock fell on it and broke it? would it come apart? or would the tissue hold it together? would it die or would you have 2 plate corals eventually?

perfectdark

I have seen one break in 3 pieces. Once in half and then one of the halfs into quarters. They all survived, the half has started to regrow its disk.

paintballer768

I saw a picture of one that had cracked its skeleton down the center, pretty even in the middle. As far as I know, it just became deformed from then forth.

peef

I had on of my fungia break in the middle somehow and it split itself the rest of the way and kept on growing. Its a little lopsided now but doing very well!

wangotango

Breaking them or dropping them are the quickest ways to frag them IMO. Each piece will continue to grow.
-Justin

shrimpi

so just crack it down the middle? how do you 'frag' it? can you just take some heavy duty clipper/pliers and 'bite' off a piece kind of like a monti cap? I would love to frag mine as its soooo bright!
this pic shows it under normal PC daylights... not just actinic. It glows like a nitelite under actinic only or even night spotlights. It actually puts an orange light reflecting on the nearby rocks.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
http:///forum/post/2453348
oh great.. and hes a fragger gone wild. I wonder how it turned out for him? Id be so scared.. it just doesnt look like the type of thing that would do good with fragging .. you know?
I think with fungias, they end up fragging on accident most times. Im not sure about everyone else, but never in a million years would I take a tile saw to a coral.

tangwhispr

Plates can be tricky, I have had mixed results, They are very thin skinned, not sure if that makes them difficult, but they are hit or miss IMO

liadb

I have had a really pretty one for awhile that is beautiful, but flat and shows no sign of life (never did). I accidelly hit it while using my Eheim detritus vacuum. I have a 3/4 piece and two 1/8 pieces. I gently flipped the pieces over. It is so fragile. I honestly have never seen any evidence of life, other than its bright color. If it was dead would it bleach out like a hard coral?

candaceswf

Administrator
I've heard of people fragging/breaking a few different ones into pieces and then putting them back together to make a whole plate that is made up of different plates

liadb

I put mine back together with super glue. 75% of it is bright, the 3 smaller broken pieces are getting less colorful. I think the glue probably clogged the surface on the pieces enough to, em, um, kill those parts.