rare clown

dskidmore

Originally posted by t n h
way to cool would love to have a pair of them

Will they pair up if they're sterile? Or is it just a futile pairing?

viper_930

I just read in the book Clownfishes that hybrid clowns are fertile and can produce fertile offspring.

alison

Hi viper, depends. Just like with ANY species, there are cases of hybreeds being fertile, but bang is right, most of the time thier sterile. Just like donkey mating w/ horse=mule, koi mating with goldfish=hybreed, lions mating with tigers=lygers. I just so happen to breed freshwater koi, and sometimes you get a koi mating with a goldfish, and those are sterile fish, and are quite ugly. Usually when I breed 2 koi, there are around 500+ koi fry, and of those only about 40 are of any good quality, so I asume the same with these, actually less, since mutation occurs. Very interesting stuff. I even heard of a ocelaris breeding with a clarki, and saw a pix. You wouldn't think this would happen, but if that's the only other thing around, maybe that's why.
-Ali:happyfish

viper_930

Originally posted by alison
Hi viper, depends. Just like with ANY species, there are cases of hybreeds being fertile, but bang is right, most of the time thier sterile.

Do you mean most of the fish in the spawn will be sterile? Or most spawns of cross-breeds will be sterile?

viper_930

I did some snooping around and found a site that sold them, but they do not have any in stock right now. If you still want the site you can email me at jslok@comcast.net. Links aren't allowed posted on here.

alison

Hi, I meant most spawns of cross breeds are sterile. It really is a rarety for them to be fertile if their a crossbreed. Hope I answered your question. -Ali

loopy

This is probably a stupid question, but would a black perc clown breed with a orange perc clown, for lack of better name, got the dumby's today....lol....ya know...nemo kinda clown?
Think they would??????