Rare Corals

zanoshanox

There is a website for a LFS in my area, that offers rare corals. Right now they have a non-branching frogspawn for 120$. It's about 5-6", has anyone ever seen or heard of one of these before? It's wild caught. What other rare/deformed corals have you guys seen/own/heard of?

jawfish101

I used to have one that was about 2in. It was one of my favorite corals...until my tank crashed and everything died.

Good Luck

babyb

i had one to that i paid like 4 bucks for about softball size but it fell over and didnt recover

teen

on swf.com it says that the frogspawn can come as a single piece of branching, so i dont thin that piece your looking at is worth 100+ dollars.

zanoshanox

yeah, sure, they say that, but i can bet that theyre shipping out 99% branching. That's all I've ever seen around here.

viper_930

Not the first time I've seen a scrolling frogspawn, but it is the first time I've seen a price on them that high!

chunks

A local LFS is selling a 4" branch for less than $50. I can pick it up for you if you want to figure out shipping. Dont pay $120; biggest rip off ever

zanoshanox

Well i already have one in my little 20 reef with five heads...i just thought this one was cool cause i havent seen anything like it before...
But dan i emant that the ones on swfish.com are probably 99% branching...But ya has anyone seen any other cool morphs like this?

sharkbyte1023

Well it's not really a morph. It's what they refer to as a wall or scrolling frogspawn. It's like the two versions of a hammer coral. They are a little less common than the branching type but nowhere near that much. The most expensive i have seen was $80 and it was quite large. From what i have seen of them they come in receeding and don't recover. All a store has to do is label something rare and that gives them the right to overcharge...it's really just getting old.

fishieness

ive seen pleanty of frogspawns like that. the scrollign ones. that color too, but never have i seen the price that high. plus i dont know know why anyone would pay that much for a little frogspawn when they can get a branching one that will spread quicker, and produce heads that you can frag and sell. i absolutly love my frogspawn. and heads just pop up. about 13 months ago i got one with three heads for 45 bucks (kidna expensive, but it is my fav coral so i paid it) and now it has about 18-20. while a hammer i bought for 65 about 10 months ago has only grown only a little bit. and it isnt branching either, so it isnt like i could frag it to ever realy make a profit. it does look very nice however.

zanoshanox

Liek i said before, i'm not considering buyiong it...I just wanted to knwo what other corals there are like this. I was under the impression that there's only branching frogs. But fishieness do you have any pics?
:D

fishieness

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
Liek i said before, i'm not considering buyiong it...I just wanted to knwo what other corals there are like this. I was under the impression that there's only branching frogs. But fishieness do you have any pics?
:D
of what? i dont have a pic of an unbranching frogspawn, because i bought a branching one. or is that what you wanted a pic of? or of my unbranching hammer? lol

fishieness

sure!!1 i love sharing pics, even though they are horrendous quality
PS: i also cant spell.....
Here is a pic of the hammer. i have it pretty much right under the MH right now, so it isnt really as open as it used to be. but im not sure where else to put it. the other side is covered in zoos and mushrooms, while the corner of the side it is on is shaded by my frogspawn

and here is a bad side-shot of the tank. you get a good idea of the size, even though most of the size is horizontal. it is probably close to the size of a vollyball when looking form above.

pics are maybe 1-2 months old