Really crappy 2 weeks.

dragonzim

Been debating with myself on whether or not I would post this or not...
Yesterday my wife and I had to put our beloved dog, Riley, to sleep. Riley was a 5 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. We've had him since he was a puppy and unfortunately since he was in the house before we had our kids we've never had an easy time with getting him to accept that they are above him in the hierarchy of my house. We also know now that this breed is not known for being really good with kids. We've had some aggression issues with him both with our kids and with friends kids which culminated in him snapping at one of my boys last year and drawing blood on his arm. At the time we thought we'd have to give him up but after talking with our vet and a few trainers we decided to try some serious obedience training. We did a very intensive boot camp style training with a guy that is known around this area for doing a lot of work training police dogs. Everything was great for the last year or so, although we never got to where Riley was really comfortable around my boys, more that he tolerated them. We knew how to manage him so things have been good for the most part.
Last Monday, the 11th, my mother was at my house watching the boys during the day (for those that dont remember, I have 3 year old twins) She was in the kitchen with one while the other was in the living room, Something happened, no idea what, exactly, and the dog attacked Cameron, the smaller of my boys. Riley bit him on the head and face. He ended up with a large L shaped laceration about 2 inches above the hairline on the left side of his head and a few scratches from the lower jaws on his forehead. The wound needed 5 staples to close. He's fine now and is getting the staples removed tonight. Thankfully, due to where the wound is on his head we wont have to worry about scarring since its up in his hair.
We spoke to our vet and a number of shelters in the area and were told that the private shelters would not take a dog once its bitten someone, especially a child, and while the town shelter would take him they didnt consider him to be adoptable between his aggression and some medical issues which require about $150 a month in medication. So, after some heartbreaking conversation, my wife and I decided that the best course of action for the dog was to have him euthanized as we couldnt bear the thought of him languishing in a cage at the town shelter before they did it themselves.
So, last night at 5:50PM we lost our beautiful dog. We were both there with him til the end, when the light went out of his eyes forever.
Being an adult and having to make decisions for the well being of your family can really suck sometimes.
Riley as a puppy

A little older

Last winter out in the snow

btldreef

I'm so sorry for what you had to go through.
You did the right thing. My parents had a chow chow before I was born. She never accepted me as part of the family and when i was 11 months old, she tore off half my face and I was in the PICU for 2 weeks. My eye needed to be reattached (ir something to tgat effect, you get the idea). She had snapped at me and bit me twice previously. My parents tried training, etc. Nothing worked and ultimately she had to be put down as well.
Our dog snapped at the baby once, but it was a snap in the air, not physically biting her. If he ever even does that again, I'd be in the same shoes as you. I hope your son (and your heart) heals quickly.

snakeblitz33

Sorry to hear. I hope things get better soon. Some Dogs can be great companions but dont seem to do well around kids. I hope you can find peace soon.

meowzer

AGAIN....Gary I am truly sorry for your loss......and for the tough decision you had to make,.......Our human babies always have to come first though..I have been lucky that I never had a dog (or cat) that was viscious to any of my children or grandchildren, so I can not tell you I know exactly how you feel. I just know that we love our fur babies with all our hearts, but the family always has to come first.
Prayers for you and your wife during this difficult time :(

reefraff

It sucks but you had no real choice. How bad would you feel if you had given the dog to someone and it did some serious damage to another child? Sometimes being a grownup sucks sour owl crap.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/394708/really-crappy-2-weeks#post_3513216
It sucks but you had no real choice. How bad would you feel if you had given the dog to someone and it did some serious damage to another child? Sometimes being a grownup sucks sour owl crap.
My wife said the exact thing.... How horrible we'd feel if he did it to someone else...

flower

I couldn't help but cry as I read your story.................I'm so sorry for all the pain you are feeling right now. He looks so sweet in his pictures. I have two German shepherds, and if they even acted like they would bite a grand-kid (I don't have little ones anymore) I would have do what you had to, big dog bites can be very dangerous. The kids don't even live with me, they just visit often....but like Meowzer said, our human children must come first.
A dog is supposed to protect the family, not be the threat. I must say, I'm very impressed with you. You made that hard decision, but still your love for him shines through. You made sure he was surrounded by your love in the end, instead of surrounded by strangers. You didn't get angry and just abandon him. You are a good dad to your boys, and an awesome fur-baby dad as well.

crimzy

Tough situation. Obviously there was no other real option here... Im sure that doesn't make it easy. I'm sorry for the loss of your dog but the kids are so much more important.
Would you consider getting another dog after this experience?

dragonzim

Thanks all. It was tough but it was the right thing to do. We will absolutely get another dog. Most likely going to wait a bit though. We are planning on moving within the year and also want to wait for while after my boys stop asking where Riley is. I think if we bring a puppy into the house that will grow up with the boys already being here it will be a much different scenario.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim http:///t/394708/really-crappy-2-weeks#post_3513347
I think if we bring a puppy into the house that will grow up with the boys already being here it will be a much different scenario.
Absolutely right about that. A puppy growing alongside the kids, will not develop the attitude that Riley did. When I was a 2 yr old baby my family was living in Canada. Dad came home one day with stray husky. That dog stuck to me like glue and allowed my to ride him, yank on him, pull his ears, and play with his mouth. He had no problem attacking other (non-family) on sight and had to be closely watched and contained. I guess I was extremely lucky.