really want to get into corals

along

I'm sorry I have no clue why i typed solar extreme.
It was nova extreme hahah but how can I raise my calcium is there a natural way to do this or will I have to get some chemicals?

1guydude

well id test ur w/c water after putting salt in it(doih) and letting it airate for 24hrs...if dont have ur own set of tests u should get some. Never dose for anything u dont test for! Usually ur salt will be good enough and u will only need w/c's
When are systems get stocked heavily or even moderatly with sps and lps corals, they suck up the cal and mag and such so we have to dose with wats called kalkawasser or pickling lime or chemicals and such.
HTHs
devin

along

i have the standard test kits not the reef kit yet but will be getting one soon thanks for your help. and are you supposed to let your water change water sit over night with the salt in it because i just mix it up and put a pump in the bucket and let it stir up for about an hour then take some water out of the tank then put the mixture right in...

1guydude

ya leave the pump in the bucket and sit over night till the next...it will de clhorine(SP) the water and let it get room temp...itll airate it too...

wartooth1

Assuming all your filtration and parameters are good, I highly recommend a pair of Ecoexotic Panorama combo fixtures (blue/white) for your 30 gallon tank. I'm running two on my 40 gallon tank and I have about a dozen of coral pieces in my tank (including some SPS corals). And they are all doing excellent. I will admit though, it took a little effort to find the sweet spot for my SPSs, but once I found it I couldn't be happier. After owning them for the last 6 months, I've come up with the following Pros/Cons with these lights:
Pros:
Cheap (under $100 each).
Modular (if I get a bigger tank all I got to do is get more lights and they fit together).
They're LEDs (they are no strain on my electric bill, don't have to replace bulbs, and no need to buy a chiller since they generate almost no heat).
Powerful (like I said, I only have 2 of them in my tank and all the corals, including the ones that require intense light, are happy and thriving).
Cons:
Each one has its own power supply, so be prepared to have a bunch of power cords hanging out from your tank (although I heard its possible to link them to one AC adapter, but I haven't tried).
The light beam that they emit is kind of narrow, so finding the perfect spot for your SPSs could be tricky, depending on how you've aquascaped your live rock.
They create a hypnotic shimmering effect in the water, so its possible to lose track of time, important dates such as birthdays, anniversaries, funerals, 1st kid being born etc because you stared at your tank too long lol!