recomendations on protien skimmers?

ppanthrah75

my current skimmer is not working so i was wondering whats a good skimmer since there are so many out there i have a 150 gallon reef with five fish

meowzer

Need some info....will this skimemr be in a sump? external? Hang on back?
What is your budget?
I'd look at the Octopus line, BUT w/o knowing the above answers, recommending one is difficult

btldreef

Also look at the ASM line, I am very happy with my ASM skimmers. I run a G3 on my 155, but have use the G1 and 2 on other tanks.

meowzer

Check this one out...it's about $350...If you went with AN NWB...you might want to look at the 200.....the 150 is rated up to 150G's....always look bigger with a skimmer

Reef Octopus SUPER SRO 2000INT In-Sump Protein Skimmer.
**** PRODUCT MANUAL ****
http://www.aquacave.com/Manuals/CORALVUE-SRO2000I-instruction-manual.pdf
Reef Octopus Super SRO is a new line of our ever popular Reef Octopus protein skimmers. Powered by Bubble Blaster pump!
An integrated bubble plate to help reduce turbulence within the skimmer which helps build a dense head of foam.
Ultimate cone shabe body, extra-wide plumbing and necks allow for more air flow and more stable reactor chamber. Wedge pipe output which allows you to adjust the skimmer and have greater control of adjustments compared to using ball valves.
Specifications:

* Item #: SRO-2000INT
* Super Reef Octopus® 6” In Sump Skimmer RO-PS-2000INT
* Dimensions: 12.5”x8.5”x22”
* Rated up to 180gal.
* Features the new Bubble Blaster HY2000S
* High quality machine welded cast acrylic construction
* High performance design
* 3 year warranty on Bubble Blaster pump.1 year warranty on skimmer.Lifetime warranty on support.

deejeff442

i ran an octo extreme.didnt like it .not the same one as meowser posted.mine had no adjustments on it .the pump was hard to prime when i shut it off and it would stop working on its own from time to time.i was looking around and found the aquac ev had some good feed back but i dont own one.i went with a scrubber recently .cost $50.but i have heard they replace the skimmers .i will see in time.

geoj

Take a look at that red knob on the skimmer it is the only adjustment that there is, you set the skimmer at the right height which is about 6" deep and then you turn the knob to put back presser on the pump that lifts the foam height. I like it

acrylic51

Good skimmers.....G1,G1x, and G2, they are skimming monsters...........G3 was disappointed with it's performance.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/382680/recomendations-on-protien-skimmers#post_3341397
Also look at the ASM line, I am very happy with my ASM skimmers. I run a G3 on my 155, but have use the G1 and 2 on other tanks.
Your one of few that didn't care for the extreme.....The Aquac Ev not even in the same class and actually different style of skimmer to say.......AquaC more an injection/beckett style skimmer, and wouldn't outperform the skimmers mentioned above
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/382680/recomendations-on-protien-skimmers#post_3341457
i ran an octo extreme.didnt like it .not the same one as meowser posted.mine had no adjustments on it .the pump was hard to prime when i shut it off and it would stop working on its own from time to time.i was looking around and found the aquac ev had some good feed back but i dont own one.i went with a scrubber recently .cost $50.but i have heard they replace the skimmers .i will see in time.
That's my girl Meowzer.....See I remembered your name again.....These are monster skimmers....Throw some nasty gunk pics of yours up there!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382680/recomendations-on-protien-skimmers#post_3341403
Check this one out...it's about $350...If you went with AN NWB...you might want to look at the 200.....the 150 is rated up to 150G's....always look bigger with a skimmer

Reef Octopus SUPER SRO 2000INT In-Sump Protein Skimmer.

**** PRODUCT MANUAL ****
http://www.aquacave.com/Manuals/CORALVUE-SRO2000I-instruction-manual.pdf
Reef Octopus Super SRO is a new line of our ever popular Reef Octopus protein skimmers. Powered by Bubble Blaster pump!
An integrated bubble plate to help reduce turbulence within the skimmer which helps build a dense head of foam.
Ultimate cone shabe body, extra-wide plumbing and necks allow for more air flow and more stable reactor chamber. Wedge pipe output which allows you to adjust the skimmer and have greater control of adjustments compared to using ball valves.
Specifications:

* Item #: SRO-2000INT
* Super Reef Octopus® 6” In Sump Skimmer RO-PS-2000INT
* Dimensions: 12.5”x8.5”x22”
* Rated up to 180gal.
* Features the new Bubble Blaster HY2000S
* High quality machine welded cast acrylic construction
* High performance design
* 3 year warranty on Bubble Blaster pump.1 year warranty on skimmer.Lifetime warranty on support.

meowzer

When I clean it next, I will have the camera ready...the gunk is so thick and smelly...once I start cleaning it, I want tp get rid of it PEEYEWWWEEEE

btldreef

I was unhappy with the G3 until I upgraded the pump. If you run the G3 on the standard Sedra 5000 pump, it's not that great, if you upgrade to the 7000, it works like a beast.

acrylic51

I would assume with the leadership Reef Dynamics had products are good...the EuroReef was a very good skimmer and still is!!!! Do you have a shot of your skimmer? I like skimmers!!!

keith gray

Don't have one here at work but google INS 80 reefdynamics and you can see it. One cool thing is if you have a type space the collection cup comes off by turning a big plastic nut and it just slides off. In other words you don't have to have much space over the collection cup to pull it out.

ppanthrah75

hey all thanx for the advice i think im going with the super reef octo the one with the pump inside the cylinder unit its called the space saver

ppanthrah75

well with a bit of barganing with my lfs i got the skimmer for the price they have it on the internet so all was good till i gat home and can not fit it in my refugium so now i have to get a bigger refugium which i new was going to happen so if anyone could suggest a good size refugium for my tank (150 gal) id appreciate it

deejeff442

well as big as you can find/fit. i would look for a 55 on craigslist .they are common.i got mine there 55 tank,stand and a bunch of filters ,pumps and heaters for $100.you might be able to find just a tank.