red stuff on Yellow Gorgonian

dcrawford

If you blow it off with a turkey baster or the like, does the red stuff come off? that would mean to me cyno.
DC

renogaw

probably necrosis (or whatever it is). means your gorgonian is a goner.
you have a ton of algae on your glass. algae like that grows on gorgonians and kills them if the flow is not right.

perfectdark

before you do that get a soft bristled tooth brush like one you would use for an infant. Gently brush the affected areas but take the coral out of your tank first. Do this with a clean container of salt water first, so your not putting the stuff you brush off back in your tank. You have build up on the gorg. IMO It is cyano judging by the glass in your tank. However cyano on a gorg is deadly, it sticks to the outter flesh of the coral and is not as easy to remove as if it were on your sand bed. If the mild brushing doesnt do the trick then I would snip the branches off. And make sure you snip far enough down. IMO I would get to about 1/4" onto the healthy part and snip it there. The pics shown is more of a covering, the endoskeleton of the coral is not showing so brushing may indeed work. If you get yellow residue to come off the same time as the bacteria is thats ok the coral will repair it. You may also be able to rub it off with your fingers. I have done both in the past and it has worked. Good Luck.
Also to help aid in keeping your coral healthy. It should not be touching any part of your LR or anything that can accumulate algea, any type of build up is bad for them. Yours is completly non photosynthetic and needs to be spot feed frequently. Moderate flow directed at it will help force benificial nutrients and trace elements by it more readily and keep build up from accumulating.

petjunkie

Yeah that's cyano but that type of gorg is impossible to keep long term whether you brush it off or not, usually the constant feeding they require just leads to more algea. You could try brushing it off or fragging, then place in an area with tons of flow and keep the water quality really high, where it's at there's no way it's getting food, if cyanos growing there isn't enough flow for it. What are you feeding it?

matt b

ok well i cliped off the red stuff bcus it wasent coming off a its in my QT now bcus i dont wanna take any chances and how do i get rid of my algee prob?? so far i have this and its a 29gal
4 x 36w
2 x 60mm Fans
1 x R2 5LED Moonlight
3 x 10000k daylights
1 x actinic blue light
1 x Power head
FLORIDA RICORDIA: 5
Bangaii Cardinal: 2
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 5
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 5
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 10
Nasssarius Snail: 15
Queen Conch - Aquacultured: 2
Cleaner Clam - : 2
Pistol Shrimp - Bullseye: 1
Cleaner Shrimp: 2
Mushroom Coral - Green Rhodactis: 1
Clarkii Clownfish: 1
Sixline wrass: 1
Feather duster: 1
Lettuce Nudibranch: 5
Deep Sea Yellow Gorgonian: 1
some kind of leather: 1
Chili Coral: 1
Colt Coral: 1
Shrimpgoby - Blue Spot: 1
Bicolor Blenny: 1
Mushroom Polyp - Umbrella: 1
Abalone - Aquacultured: 1

perfectdark

Fish are wayy over stocked IMO 3 imo is the limit on your tank. Corals and inverts dont add to your bioload. Unless you have corals that require frequent feedings.

matt b

ya i have a skimmer and ima do my best to take out the Shrimpgoby i just dont want to move all my rocks to get him

hefner413

Originally Posted by petjunkie
Yeah that's cyano but that type of gorg is impossible to keep long term whether you brush it off or not,
What types are good to get?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Hefner413
What types are good to get?
There are quite a few that are photosynthetic.. a purple brush gorg, Muriceopis flavida is photosyn, but doesnt have a high demand for intense light. So, it benifits from spot feeding and gets a boost, so to say from the light.
The purple ribbon gorg is a moderate to high light specimine, and the green lace gorg is also a moderate light gorg. Those are a few.. hope this helps.

candycane

My suggestion, which I wouldn't take LOL, would be to leave it alone. The thing that still makes it look good to me, is the polyps are still out even over this stuff. The color appears to be very similar if not an exact match to the polyp structures. It's not really odd to see a coral alter it's colors as it grows to these same colors.