Reduced Minimum Order Size and Shipping Changes

lexluethar

Thanks SWF.com, keep up the good work. Seriously, i'm glad that you've lowered your minimum order amount for livestock.

jimmy40741

I agree that the lower minimum is a great thing, especially if you are just looking for one fish.
But I also agree with RCreations, if you tack on an extra $35 to a less expensive fish I doubt that price will beat what you will pay at your LFS. For higher end fish and fish you can't get from your LFS it will work well, but not so well with the less expensive ones.

shinobi9119

Originally Posted by Jimmy40741
http:///forum/post/2642714
I agree that the lower minimum is a great thing, especially if you are just looking for one fish.
But I also agree with RCreations, if you tack on an extra $35 to a less expensive fish I doubt that price will beat what you will pay at your LFS. For higher end fish and fish you can't get from your LFS it will work well, but not so well with the less expensive ones.
makes sense.. but im pumped because there were a few high end fish that i will now order from here because the minimum order is down!!!

haguc

I was thinking the same thing about the min order decreasing and it making it less attractive since now the single fish will be more than you can find it locally. However, the customer service and warranty I have gotten from SWF has been great and I don't know about other places, but I have not found a LFS that has any kind of a warranty on their (SW) fish. I like the improvement, sad to see the shipping on larger orders go up, but $3 isn't too bad since we were paying 25 before (including packaging and surcharge) and now it is 28. Well played SWF.. well played.

R

rcreations

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to sound like I'm blaming SWF for the shipping cost. We all know how much it costs to ship something overnight. It's a sign of the times and the increase in gas prices. And for more expensive and harder to find fish, it's still worth it. My one suggestion now is for SWF to start stocking some of the rarer specimens, the ones that are not normally found at the LFS.

jarodw45

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2642451
just can't keep people happy can you.

I must first say that I am very pleased with SWF.com. I have ordered 4 times in the last 4 months with each order averaging $230. I am very pleased with the quality, overall price, speedy shipping, great packing, and excellent service. I only had two items die, one DOA torch and one orangeback basslet that was bummed up from shipping. SWF.com quickly credited me for these. I was only making an observation on how the fuel prices have affected the economy everywhere. Sorry if I sounded as if I were complaining. Great work SWF.com you still do have the lowest shipping rates.

jimvette1

Originally Posted by haguc
http:///forum/post/2642829
I was thinking the same thing about the min order decreasing and it making it less attractive since now the single fish will be more than you can find it locally. However, the customer service and warranty I have gotten from SWF has been great and I don't know about other places, but I have not found a LFS that has any kind of a warranty on their (SW) fish. I like the improvement, sad to see the shipping on larger orders go up, but $3 isn't too bad since we were paying 25 before (including packaging and surcharge) and now it is 28. Well played SWF.. well played.

haguc,
Why were you charged $25 for shipping, we are not that far from each other,(Ohio and Indiana) I was only being charged $19.98 (9.99 Handling + 9.99 gas surcharge). Thats an increase of $10 to $29.99 (orders over $79.99) or $15 to $34.99 (orders under $79.99).
I guess I'm lucky because my LFS has a good return policy.
Don't get me wrong ,I like the lower min. purchase price but.......
if I'm adding $34.99 to a $29.99 (=$64.98) order I might as well add a few more fish or clean up crew and total out to the old price of $79.99 with the old free shipping.
How is the new way better?
Bottom line. "If it ain't broke,don't fix it."

renogaw

Originally Posted by JimVette1
http:///forum/post/2645410
haguc,
Why were you charged $25 for shipping, we are not that far from each other,(Ohio and Indiana) I was only being charged $19.98 (9.99 Handling + 9.99 gas surcharge).
because for a while they were charging $15 fuel surcharge
this is basically a PR thing... people complained that shipping wasn't free because you paid for surcharge and handling charge, which technically what goes into shipping charges...so the wording is different now, and people are happy...

T

tfolke1

http:///forum/post/2645410
haguc,
Why were you charged $25 for shipping, we are not that far from each other,(Ohio and Indiana) I was only being charged $19.98 (9.99 Handling + 9.99 gas surcharge). Thats an increase of $10 to $29.99 (orders over $79.99) or $15 to $34.99 (orders under $79.99).
I guess I'm lucky because my LFS has a good return policy.
Don't get me wrong ,I like the lower min. purchase price but.......
if I'm adding $34.99 to a $29.99 (=$64.98) order I might as well add a few more fish or clean up crew and total out to the old price of $79.99 with the old free shipping.
How is the new way better?
Bottom line. "If it ain't broke,don't fix it."
That was exactly the complaint that some people had. They didn't want to add 10 snails and an extra cleaner shrimp or a mystery coral just to reach the $79 minimum because they only wanted to add one Fish or Coral to their tank. I'm just getting started, so I can always find stuff to add,( Who can't use more feather dusters?) But I've also got the advantage of a 75 gallon tank. I can get away with a bigger bump in the Biolode then somebody with a smaller tank. I don't have to worry as much about if the filtration in my tank can handle the cheap add-ons that I had to choose in order to hit the $79 minimum.
Somebody with a smaller Nano tank was forced to either buy a 79 dollar fish, or risk a cycle by trying to force 3 or 4 new gobies into their tank all at the same time.

jimvette1

Originally Posted by tfolke1
http:///forum/post/2645685
That was exactly the complaint that some people had. They didn't want to add 10 snails and an extra cleaner shrimp or a mystery coral just to reach the $79 minimum because they only wanted to add one Fish or Coral to their tank. I'm just getting started, so I can always find stuff to add,( Who can't use more feather dusters?) But I've also got the advantage of a 75 gallon tank. I can get away with a bigger bump in the Biolode then somebody with a smaller tank. I don't have to worry as much about if the filtration in my tank can handle the cheap add-ons that I had to choose in order to hit the $79 minimum.
Somebody with a smaller Nano tank was forced to either buy a 79 dollar fish, or risk a cycle by trying to force 3 or 4 new gobies into their tank all at the same time.
But 1 fish or 1 coral no matter how cheap is still going to cost you $64.98 ($29.99 minimum plus $34.99 shipping= $64.98). Just my opinion.
I guess it's like they say "You can't please everyone"

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by faqbch99
http:///forum/post/2640569
I had no idea this changed... was an email sent that I missed.

I got the following email.
You’ve told us that you were looking for lower minimum order sizes and we
have listened. We are pleased to announce that the minimum order at
Saltwaterfish.com has been reduced to $29.99. So, if you are looking for
just that special fish on the site, or you have a smaller aquarium, you
can take advantage of the great offers on the site.
This week we got some excellent coral in from Indonesia and we are well
stocked on Caribbean fish as well. We also are well stocked on beautiful
ORA corals. Check out our selection.
We import our livestock Direct to us. Then Direct to you. We never use
middlemen or transhippers so we can control the quality of our fish. Go
ahead and take a look around...then experience the Best Value in Saltwater
Marine life.
The following is a selection of our Extra Special Values:
Powder Brown Tang, limit 1: Regular $49.99, Now $24.99 - Super Special!
Redlip Blenny: Regular: $12.99, Now $7.99 - $5.00 Off!
Blackcap Basslet: Regular $39.99, Now $19.99 - Half Price!
Octopus: Regular $79.99, Now $59.99 - $20.00 Off!
Heteractis Magnifica: Regular $129.99, Now $99.99 - $30.00 Off!
Mushroom Polyp, Umbrella: Regular $13.99, Now $9.99 - 40% Off!
Green Ricordea: Regular $17.99, Now $14.99 - 17% Off!
Blue Linkia Starfish: Regular $49.99, now $29.99 - $20.00 Off!
Cleaner Clam: Regular $9.99, Now $4.99 - Half Price!
Longnose Butterfly: Regular $34.99, Now $24.99 - $10.00 Off!
Neon Goby: Regular $19.99, Now $9.99 - Half Price!
Plus lots of other Great Deals!
FedEx Overnight shipping applies to all Live Fish, Coral, Invertebrate,
and Reef Package orders. Minimum order required for Live Goods is only
$29.99. Limit is 3 per order on any specially priced item, unless
otherwise marked.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2645998
But 1 fish or 1 coral no matter how cheap is still going to cost you $64.98 ($29.99 minimum plus $34.99 shipping= $64.98). Just my opinion.
I guess it's like they say "You can't please everyone"
This is exactly what people wanted. I am not singling your comment out at all, just using it as a point. We all tried to say this to those that wanted to pay for shipping to be able to get one fish, rather than buying $80 worth of live stock to get free shipping. People expressed, wholeheartedly, their desire to pay whatever to be able to get just one fish. Now they can.

jimvette1

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2646262
This is exactly what people wanted. I am not singling your comment out at all, just using it as a point. We all tried to say this to those that wanted to pay for shipping to be able to get one fish, rather than buying $80 worth of live stock to get free shipping. People expressed, wholeheartedly, their desire to pay whatever to be able to get just one fish. Now they can.
sepulation,
You have summed up my point exactly. Without comments and discussions SWF.com would have no idea what their customers want and it seems to me SWF.com is trying to do exactly that.
As “renogaw” stated some sites require $250 before you get free shipping.
My input was to stimulate thought and come up with the best solution for ALL SWF.com customers. Whether you have a small tank or a lagoon!
I would hope to think SWF.com would enjoy listening to everyone’s comments to make the best saltwater fish site better.

spiderwoman

I haven't read the whole thread, but there really wasn't *free* shipping to begin with, it was just worded differently. Free means free and not additional fuel charges etc. Now you can order less and pay pretty much the standard live shipping fee like other online stores. Makes more sense when all charges are clearly visible to everybody and no surprises at checkout.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2646262

Sep, you gotta remember that there are thousands upon thousands of people who order and only a few screamed for this feature. "Squeaky wheels" if you will.
This may be what people wanted but it was a very few select people.
Nobody is gonna start a thread or email SWF to say, "I love things exactly how they are!"
So SWF heard the SW's and is trying their approach.
IMO, they really are the same though.
Just a smaller min. purchase.