Reef Eel?

jacknjill

I was at the lfs yesterday and they had a really small snowflake eel. Could i keep a snowflake or ribbon eel safely in my reef? 55 gallon by the way

aw2

Originally Posted by Cartman101
snowflake eel yes. Just make sure you have no loose rock, it may topple them.

As long as you dont plan on keeping and crabs or shrimp in that reef.

cartman101

Originally Posted by AW2
As long as you dont plan on keeping and crabs or shrimp in that reef.
Yeah...... forgot about mentioning that

jr2857

also don't put in any small fish or crabs or shrimps or crusteaceans. they are fine with corals and live rock.

space_geek

no, I had one in my first tank with 3 cleaner shrimps, 2 blood red fire shrimps, a coral banded, my clean up crew and a few other inverts and he never touched them! Although, he did topple one of my rock structures that I THOUGHT WOULD NEVER FALL and obviously---it did. But anyway, I bought mine small, like yours, and it never bothered them. Even when it was 3 feet long! Until that day he finally went carpet surfing...RIP.

jacknjill

hmmm, ok, well i think i could risk my crabs a nd cleaner shrimp. but a have 2 small green chromis, a coral beauty, and a small tomatoe clown (the female is like 5 inches though). do you think he would eat those fish?
i wanted to try and buy a very small one and see how it goes. the one i saw at the store was about as thick as a sharpie. it was really cool and beautiful.

space_geek

Originally Posted by JacknJill
hmmm, ok, well i think i could risk my crabs a nd cleaner shrimp. but a have 2 small green chromis, a coral beauty, and a small tomatoe clown (the female is like 5 inches though). do you think he would eat those fish?
i wanted to try and buy a very small one and see how it goes. the one i saw at the store was about as thick as a sharpie. it was really cool and beautiful.
Well, I think everything will be fine. Green chromis get a LOT bigger than most people think, like 4 inches. And clowns also get bigger than most people think, anyone seen mine? So, go for it! Just make sure your rockwork is sturdy and that your tank is covered! Also, be careful when taking it out of the bag, they tend to get pissed, and you dont wanna get bit. If u DO get bit, their teeth curve backwards and you have to cut their head off and pry its jaws open. Not trying to scare u or anything. When u getting it? TAKE PICS!

jacknjill

ok, well i think i may give it a try. im probably going to order off of this site because they seem like a good size and they have a guarantee.
anyways, thinks for the advice. i plan on feeding something meaty like krill with a feeding stick every other day. does that sound all right or can i feed everyday?

space_geek

ok, well i think i may give it a try. im probably going to order off of this site because they seem like a good size and they have a guarantee.
anyways, thinks for the advice. i plan on feeding something meaty like krill with a feeding stick every other day. does that sound all right or can i feed everyday?
Sounds like a plan! When u gonna order? Tonite?!?!?! With one THAT SMALL I would feed it every day with a feeding stick (as you said) with like krill, and mysis shrimp, and mussels, and squid, etc. As it gets bigger u can start feeding every other day.

nickfish

Pretty much any eel is going to be coral and clam safe. IMO snowflake, zebra, and chainlink eels are the best for reef aquariums, because they are all moderatly peaceful. I have a snowflake eel in my 80 gallon reef and he hasnt messed with any snails yet.

cartman101

Originally Posted by Space_Geek
no, I had one in my first tank with 3 cleaner shrimps, 2 blood red fire shrimps, a coral banded, my clean up crew and a few other inverts and he never touched them! Although, he did topple one of my rock structures that I THOUGHT WOULD NEVER FALL and obviously---it did. But anyway, I bought mine small, like yours, and it never bothered them. Even when it was 3 feet long! Until that day he finally went carpet surfing...RIP.
Yeahm but eels are two-faced. I had a cleaner shrimp in with my chainlink and snowflake for about 3 weeks, may be more, then i came home from school and he was gone! I saw my snowflake and chainlink with a big belly...

mitzel

I ordered Mine from this site and it was a nice looking eel. Its in my 125 gallon reef along with snails, crabs, shrimp, clowns , Blue damsel, niger trigger ,anemonie, and some zoo's. He just hangs out at one end of the tank unless its feeding time when he comes out and swims around. Definatly make sure you have a lid , Mine whent surfing last week during feeding. I hand feed mine . I think this will help keep it melow so its used to me being up close and doesnt take a nip at me.
SPACE GEEK: Did you get bit by a SFE?

mitzel

About 8 inches and as fat as a sharpe marker its grown about half an inch already and is quiet fat . I had been feeding him daily up untill this week and now its everyother day. Mine has nipped me a few times but it doesn't hurt really feels more like somebody flicking your finger than a bite .