Reef Science Plankton

mrdc

Anyone ever use a product called reef science plankton? The description looks good but would like to hear some reviews. They do sell in on the bay and it appears to receive all positive reviews.

slice

*BUMP*
I'm at a point where I have to really up my game and I am researching good reef foods. Unfortunately I am wading through hype without any real way of qualifying the claims.
A lot of locals like this Reef Science Plankton, wondering if anyone here has tried it yet.
Their hype:
You will receive a live culture of L-type saltwater rotifers containing at least 15,000 ROTIFERS and 500 COPEPODS (250 adults) shipped with nannochloropsis occulata phytoplankton for them to feed on during transport. Your culture will be shipped in a container that allows them to breathe and thrive during shipping, not confined to a suffocating plastic bottle. They are harvested at this density and will reproduce during shipping. These hardy zooplankton are the ideal food for saltwater reef tanks, as they are the CORRECT SIZE (1/3 the size of cyclo-peeze) for most SPS, LPS, Soft corals, Sponges, Tunicates, Gorgonians and many other invertebrates. Many corals, especially SPS corals, CAN NOT EAT food items larger than rotifers or very small copepods. Most corals do not eat phytoplankton but love live zooplankton, as this is their natural food and the movement of live prey stimulates their carnivorous feeding response. Almost all coral species are carnivores; very rarely can corals eat phytoplankton. Current scientific research proves this.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/382668/reef-science-plankton#post_3389143
*BUMP*
I'm at a point where I have to really up my game and I am researching good reef foods. Unfortunately I am wading through hype without any real way of qualifying the claims.
A lot of locals like this Reef Science Plankton, wondering if anyone here has tried it yet.
Their hype:
You will receive a live culture of L-type saltwater rotifers containing at least 15,000 ROTIFERS and 500 COPEPODS (250 adults) shipped with nannochloropsis occulata phytoplankton for them to feed on during transport. Your culture will be shipped in a container that allows them to breathe and thrive during shipping, not confined to a suffocating plastic bottle. They are harvested at this density and will reproduce during shipping. These hardy zooplankton are the ideal food for saltwater reef tanks, as they are the CORRECT SIZE (1/3 the size of cyclo-peeze) for most SPS, LPS, Soft corals, Sponges, Tunicates, Gorgonians and many other invertebrates. Many corals, especially SPS corals, CAN NOT EAT
food items larger than rotifers or very small copepods. Most corals do not eat phytoplankton but love live zooplankton, as this is their natural food and the movement of live prey stimulates their carnivorous feeding response. Almost all coral species are carnivores; very rarely can corals eat phytoplankton. Current scientific research proves this.

It sure sounds like a good thing.
I always wondered about growing some of my own coral food too. It just seems like I would make so much more than what my tank needs. If there was a market at the LFS where I could resell the extra...that would work. It has to be better than the bottled dead crap we feed our coral.

slice

Yeah, this product sounds almost too good to be true...hence my skepticism.
The description goes on to say there is a "care and use" card included with every bottle, but I have not found what the "care and use" is...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/382668/reef-science-plankton#post_3389156
Yeah, this product sounds almost too good to be true...hence my skepticism.
The description goes on to say there is a "care and use" card included with every bottle, but I have not found what the "care and use" is...
I think it was Saxman that cultivates their own coral food...him and Cranberry...those guys know everything..LOL..PM one of them and see what they say.

carlos413

I use the Reef nutrition line. Like others have stated dont overfeed or you could get in to truble with water quality. My advice is make sure you have low nutrient level and no undesirable algae otherwise what you feed your corals might be what turns your aquarium in to a green/ red jungle.