Reef Setup

jumpfrog

It will work. Just watch your bioload and match it to your capabilities. I'm curious, why the cannister AND wet/dry?

bullshark

Wet dry will not remove particles as small as a canister. Thats my opinion.
As for me, I have a wet/dry(used as a sump, everything is in sump/ nothing in tank, plus the flitering of the wet dry), canister, lots of live rock and live sand, fuge with macros and occasionally I hook up the skimmer to pull out the crap.....
Works for me!
Good Luck.

nm reef

Would a Eheim canister, a wet dry, and a refugium be good enough to run a reef?

Sure...I don't see why the combination wouldn't work. I've never used any type of a canister or wet/dry myself...but I have heard good things about both. I'd definitely research the effectiveness of both before depending on them for filtration.
I run a different type filtration on my system(LR/DSB/sump with a large skimmer/large refugium)...works well for me. There are countless ways to filtrate a system...and I'm sure each has its merits.
What do you plan to keep...any idea how you intend to stock your reef?
Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. Folks here will be glad to help out as you progress...and I personally like to hear how new systems develope....:cool:

nmreef@cox.net

bang guy

My concern is taking out the tiny particles in the water. For a Fish Only it's great to have crystal clear water but for a reef those tiny particles are coral food. Removing them makes it just that little bit harder to grow coral.

lesleybird

Hi,
Did you know that for about $32 you can get a Marineland Bio Wheel Pro 60 and put this on the return of your power filter? Any brand.....I love these. Marineland just started selling them. They hang on the side of the tank. Do a search on line. I use these on my Rena filstar cannister filter return and it makes it into a wet/dry. On my next tank I think that I will use a cannister with the biowheels, and a refugium that is also a sump. I am going through the same debate with myself as I like to keep a lot of fish and a few corals too. I am also debating on whether or not to get a reef ready tank which would lock me into having to get either a refugium or a wet/dry sump. I was going to check around to see if some of the bioballs could be replaced with mechanical filtration like filter pads, sponges, maybe carbon type media. I suppose that you could even use these biowheels I am talking about on the return to the tank from a refugium or sump. I don't know if I will still need or want my power filter.....There is only so much room under the tank, and I don't want so many filters to clean and maintain. I worry that if I have a refugium that I will have to spend a lot of time to maintain it too. I like things simple but very efficient.
Let us know how your set up goes....maybe I can learn something too! Lesley

doxboi

I figured use both because you can never have enough filtration. Plus I allready have a canister. My buddy might sell his wet-dry for cheep because he is trying to tare down his tank. He said he just does not have the time anymore. Plus he has 200 lbs of LR I might buy from him to. I figured a refugium is easier and better to hook up to a wetdry vs a canister. What do you all think?

shanev

IMO I wouldn't use a canister ,like BangGuy said, it removes a little too much from the water. I think any tank would benefit from a refugium. If nothing else for pods.