Reef Temp & Salinity By Shimek

tnreef

Has anyone read this? What are your thoughts? I just recieved my A F Magazine today and this article just blows my mind. It states that the temp for a reef should be in the mid 80's far cry from what most of us call ideal of 78. Just looking for the varied opinions on this. I think I am going to try 2 Tanks same size at the different temps and see. It will not be close to a controlled experiment but should be interesting. What do you think???? :confused: :rolleyes: :D :(

orby

I've heard of raising the temp too in some magazines, but I've never been that daring to go ahead and try. I'm worried that the disolved O2 would not be high enough at those temps. Wouldn't that cause many problems and stress the fish if even one water parameter was even slightly off? :eek:

FYI, this information is not new. It has been available for quite some time.
I have been keeping my reef tank at 81 degrees for about 2 years. Before that, a constant 80 for about 5 years. Everything thriving.
My .02
Hermit

bobber

I would agree with Hermit on this. Temp swimgs throughout the day anyways, not much, but it does. A temp of 81 is not in any way going to harm your tank. Most people run aroung the 79-81 degree temp. So, IMO, it can't hurt. If you want to raise it, do it slow, just like anything alse in this hobby. --Bob

Sundog---
Thank you kindly for inquiring about my (un) vacation.
Due to a family emergency, all dive outings were cancelled. But at least I got to sit on the Lanai and enjoy 75 degree weather for two weeks. THAT was excellent.
Everyone is recovering nicely. We have weathered yet another crisis in our family :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
But as a friend of mine always reminds me, it's not what happens to you, but it's how you handle it.
The Hermit

tnreef

The O2 levels would be a concern only if it was your ammonia & nitrites that were high.
As for raising the temp it would have to be slow so as not to shock the livestock.
I have heard this before but not in the detail of the article.
If and when I do set the high temp tank it will be a new tank so I can see the difference.
This would save on chillers though wouldn't it.
Darryl :)

tonka

I posted this on March 30th. But I think this is worthy of posting again. I don't want newbies turning up the heat just because of R.Shimek wrote.
I know I said don't believe everything you read so here's the other side of keeping the temp at higher levels...Also from a well known aquarist, J.Charles Delbeek (co-author of The Reef Aquarium Vol.1&2,writer for several aquarium magazines). I found this in March 2001,Aquarium Fish Magazine,reef aquarist "Things get heated when water temps are discussed",Page 14. I was going to just say "go find it" but 9 out of 10 of you won't. Here are some key points Mr.Delbeek said "Have not seen any data to support his claims that corals kept in home systems at temps below 80 degrees grow any more slowly and are any less healthy than those kept in home systems over 80." "It is also interesting to note that Dr.Shimek has lowered his recommended temperature from 84 to the 82 mentioned in his latest article in AFM."puzzled by his conclusion that an average temp of 82 would produce the best health for most coral reef animals.This represents the average of a range of average temps of more than 1000 reefs around the world,and ranged from averages of 76 to 86 degrees." "taking an average of several averages may not be statistically valid" "Dr.Shimek's main thesis is that reef tanks should mimic nature. However, keeping a constant temperature of 82 year round mimics no reef I know of." "Our aquariums are approximations at best. The lighting on most reef tanks, for example, is far below that found on reefs." "Dr.Shimek's main point is that the majority of the corals kept in aquariums today come from centers of high diversity and high water temps such as Indonesia and the Philippines. However, many of the SPS corals found in the trade come from Fiji,Tonga, and the Solomon Islands.Fiji and Tonga lie on the very edge of the 80 degree water temp map that Shimek includes in his 1997 Aquarium Frontiers article,in which he first began to tout the keeping of reef tanks at higher temps. Summer temps in Fiji may run up to 82 degrees but stay there for only a few months of the year, then drop back down to the high 70's in the water. In January 2000, water temps began to rise above 82 in Fiji, reaching as high as 84 and briefly 86 in some areas. These temps resulted in extensive coral bleaching throughout many of the rich coral reefs of Fiji beginning in March and extending into June." "In the same article,he shows an aerial shot of a cut in a coral reef taken in Palau where states that he measured surface temps of 86 in the oceanic water offshore and 92 on the reef flat.I am not sure what point he is trying to make here. Surface temps only extend a foot or two at best, depending on the amount of mixing." "One argument against maintaining higher tank temps that Shimek points to is that these temps are often accompanied by lowered oxygen levels. His response is that adequate aeration should circumvent any oxygen decrease brought on by higher temps.He states this as a given. However, I have yet to see this actually proven by anyone with data." "The satellite images only record the surface sea temps.(SST)SST's also reflect when there are elevated temps that could cause bleaching,and they can be used to estimate deeper water temps,but these would be lower than what you would see in the satellite data." "So should you keep your tank temps at 82 to 84 degrees? If you feel confident that your tank connot go much higher, if you have periods in which the temp runs lower than this for parts of the year,if you can maintain adequate oxygen levels at the elevated temps at night,if your corals are of the type that have the ability to adapt to higher temps, if the water motion approximates outer reef areas, and if you know exactly where all your corals came from and what water temps they grew in,then,yes, I suppose you can" "The recommendation of 75 to 77 is based on the belief that these temps offer the best chance for success,offer a cushion in case of elevated temps that may cause come corals to bleach, and they generally keep biological processes in the tank manageable"
I know this is VERY long but I think it's important that we see both sides. And so that some of the newer people don't turn up the heat without knowing all the info they can get.IMO, corals don't get stressed like us,they don't need a Hot tub!!...
;)

playtime

I have a book called ( The Saltwater Aquarium handbook) I purchased from my LFS. It states 77-85 degrees. I keep mine at 82 and everyone is great. My heater is set on 76 but it never stays there it is always at 82. I haven't had problems so far.
Playtime :rolleyes:

luke

I think that people forget the amount of variables involved in reef keeping. Temp is just one out of thousands. Haveing a successful tank at any temp is not suprising, nor does it mean everyone will be successful at that temp. With higher temps come lower O2 levels. If you are experienced at reef keeping, and you have ample O2 exchange then this is not a problem. For beginers, who may not know the difference between a coral who is O2 deprived and one that is just not happy that day, mantaining a tnak at a lower temp makes sense.
Not only do you have those problems, you also have issues with livestock. No one ever says what they are keeping at their magic temp numbers. If someone is trying to maintain Tubastrea and Dendronepthea they may not wnat to keep their tank at 85 degrees. At the sametime, someone who is keeping corals that are exposed at low tide may not want to keep their tank at 72. The point is all the info people are giving is useless without some background. So in the end everyone is right about the temp they run. I am sorry for the ranting and raving. But I do think that it is important.
Luke

ironreef

yup this has been out for a few yrs now. In a reef its easier to keep hi temp cuz of lighting but you need good motion in fish tanks also its not hard with powerheads and skimming

tnreef

I did not say the higher temp was for all tanks with all life forms. We as reefkeepers need to research the lifeforms we keep. Know where it comes from, its temp, its surrondings. High temp would not be for some species and low temp is not for others. In some cases high temp will work in others it will not.
When you realize the requirements of your specimens and provide what they need you will be succesfull.
I agree with the article on the metabolism issues at the higher temps.
I did not say to keep all reefs at high temps. I stated I was going to try a warmer water reef (compleat with animals from warmer water climate).
We constantly strive to provide lighting and food requirements for our specimens, so why not give them the temp they require???
I belive temp falls under everything else in this hobby- RESEARCH THE REQUIREMENTS OF YOUR SPECIMENS AND GIVE THEM WHAT THEY REQUIRE.
NOT ALL TANKS CAN BE KEPT AT THE HIGH TEMPS
Darryl

tnreef

I cannot agree with the average temp from the reefs due to so many varibles. El'Nino and global warming has been blamed for much distruction of the worlds reefs. I would still want to be on the low side of Shimek's reccomondations.
We can't take everything at face value.
IMO Darryl

kappadoku

Thank you TN reef.
I, for instance, love the catalina goby. I almost lost one by not acclimating long enough. The waters off catalina are COLD compared to the indopacific and micronesia.(and most aquaria) You should research EVERYTHING about a new purchase, including native climate and preferred temp. All my tanks running at 76-77 are flourishing. This was still too warm for a catalina goby.
To say one temp is right for all tanks is like saying one food is right for all fish.
These are individual LIVING organisms were talking about here, each with a special personality and unique traits. (falls off his soapbox <clunk> ) :rolleyes:

total

My normal temps are 79.5 at night and 81.0 during the day with lights on (pc's). About a week ago our temps outside went from the 70's to 90+. When I got home from work my tank temp was 85.3. I freeked at the time but turned on the AC and the temp dropped in about 4 hours to my daytime temp. Their was no stress in the tank at all. But my AC is always set to 78 or below. Just in case.
TTFN

tonka

What species lives in a average of 85+ degree water??? None that I know of. And you can't quote ocean maps because they only get surface temp. The deeper waters are only estimates. I've been diving in a lot of the pacific and I've yet to dive in 85 degree water.(would be nice though)Occasional highs are accepted but not for the average. IMO

tonka

I agree,I don't want a debate either. But I'm am wondering what species lives in a 85 degree average temp? BTW, your link didn't work. And you can't tell the temp on a map. Just an estimate.(Delbeek AFM 2001)I am courious, what animals are you going to be putting in a "high temp" tank? I'm not trying to argue...Thanks