Reef vs Fish Only

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Anonome
My opinion, reef tanks are awesome. Properly placed rock and coral, with growing corralline, and you have the inside of the ocean right in front of you.
Checking all the perameters once a week......goes with the love of the reef tank.
Having people come over and see the tank..... priceless.
Ditto!!!

prevwon

I originally wanted a FOWLR setup, but after being on this site for a couple of months I realized how awesome reef tanks are and that they are well worth the money. Also, all the fish that I wanted in my FOWLR setup I can keep in a reef. It's amazing the things that grow in the ocean. It's even more amazing that you can keep them in your home.

deltablack22

I've found that the majority of FOWLR tanks are just a few corals away from being a reef tank anyway. (With the exception of your large aggressive tanks) I dont understand why you wouldnt have corals when you've already got the LR as long as you dont have anything that eats coral.

lesleybird

Originally Posted by reef46
alot more expensive, but alot nicer to look at than a pile of Live ROck
A tank with fish only is more that looking at just a pile of rock!

rslinger

I have both. I have to say fowlr the bigger fish triggers spiting water at you. Can't beat it. And my fish can eat your fish.

P

phishface

Hand feeding triggers is awesome, but so is xenia swaying in the flow. I voted reef, but shouldnt have voted since its all good.

fishkid2

Yeh i think it is kind of hard to choose between sweet looking aggresive fish or all the sweet corals you can get.

garnet13aj

I have a FO, but I like the reef better, because they are prettier overall IMO. They have many more colors...plus inverts are just cool. I can't wait to set up a reef!

jmesmcm

I would have to say one of each. I have a 120 SPS dominated reef which has plenty of fish and inverts to watch and a 90 FOWLR which is much easier to maintain but is limitted as to the inverts that can go in it by the choice of fish.
The reeftank definitely get the better responses though when people come over due to the variety of life in the tank.