refinishing a rifle...

pwnag3!!

Ok i inherited a nice remington model 700 .243 with 4 round magazine rife from my uncle...
thing is the stock is pretty scratched..
Is it possible to dismantle the gun and restain the stock (in a nice black color of my choice) and put it back together with ease?
I dont want to have to do any kind of complicated gun smithing.
basically just dsimantle pull out, finish, and put back together.

dvs

Youll shoot your eye out!

You should be able to take it part fairly easy. Now putting it back together, well...
Good luck!

pwnag3!!

thats the thing that is scaring me... i dont want to dismantle it and ruin a perfectly good rifle... im sure i could take it to a gunsmith.. but that costs money.
ranger.... gasguzzler... i know you guys know alot about rifles... help me out.

pwnag3!!

nvm... i actually found that i can take it all apart with no complex work... just 3 screws to seperate the stock from the rest of the arm.
Its gonna look sweet when im done with it.

gasguzzler

Yeah bolt actions are really no big deal. The Rem. 700 is a really nice action. Good luc.
This thing, is slightly more complicated.

caillou

2 pins and the AR is in 2 pieces, Nothing easier. I've got one myself. I'm planning my first build as we speak.

caillou

It's going to be. If I could figure out how to shrink pictures I'd post. Your's is bad! I love the grenade launcher(I know there's a more technical name for it). Looks like an after market grip on yours. I've looked at a few and just waiting for the next gunshow to pick one up. The dual magazine is a must also.

gasguzzler

The grip is a Fobus and the handguards are modified factory pieces. I put the other stock back on it and I think its looks better. Any interest in the grip?

fishnerd

I belong to The Church of Heckler and Koch.
G3, USP40 compact, and SP89.
I wanna sell the SP89 and get a class 3 MP5, but theres always that gosh darn money issue. Oh well, MP5 someday...

Before you refinish it, take it to a gun shop and have them look at it. Amatur refinishing will significantly lessen resale value.
But If you do a decent job, and don't have a particularly "collectible" piece, than no harm will be done.
You can always sand it down and start over.
I like to use tung oil on bare wood, makes a nice finish

pwnag3!!

well...i might not do it due to its gripping pattern....that would be a hard sanding job... and it would not be easy.
I might debate it in my head... but if all else fails i can just buy a new synthetic stock.

Every one of those scratches has a story.
"It was a snowy day on that big hill..."
"Cousin (whomever) and I were doing (whatever)..."
"It fell out of the truck on the day that we did ( thus and so)...."
Of course, if it was no one that you had a "feeling " for, aand thiss is nothing but a bit of iron and wood....
I use "Stripeeze" paint remover, that I buy from Lowe's, for about $14 a gallon. For a gunstock, 1 quart should do you.
Toothbrush the checkering .
Don't reuse the toothbrush for dental purposes.
Try using a sanding sealer or a wood filler at this point. It will fill all the cracks and pores, to male a smooth finish.
SSeveral coats of "tung oil" will produce a marvelous finish....If you don't like it...re-apply stryppeeze.

dave flood

use Methel Ethel Keytone to strip it. Just pour a little in a 5gal. bucket let it set with the cover on for a little while & take a tooth brush & just wipe it off.Clean it real good then ues an oil stain on it.