Refugium Design will the powerhead work?

magyk

I'm going to make a basic refugium with a light and a vinyl tube comming from the main tank to bring water into the 10gallon refugium.
The return will be a 402 aquaclear powerhead. I need to know if this is okay for a basic fuge.
I do have a wet/dry, which is why I think this would be beneficial.
I need to know if this basic design would be okay.
The tank has been up for a month and a half. I'm not looking for alot of flow from the powerhead bringing the water back up.

D

daniel411

I'm not sure I'm completely following you....
A vinyl tube without an overflow box might not be the best idea. If you do create a siphon, even with the bend at the top. It would probally have to be placed far enough down into the water where you could have a serious overflow if the pump fails.
I doubt that a 402 aquaclear power head would be able to pump water back up to a tank at normal height.

goatfish

As for the line to the fuge anyone here will tell you to use an over flow. As for the return I have been using a maxi-jet 1200 for about a year now on my ten gallon fuge. This has worked well and is pretty energy effecient. Could maybe use a little more flow but not much, if I lessened the head height I would probably get what I want.

beaslbob

Originally posted by magyk
I'm going to make a basic refugium with a light and a vinyl tube comming from the main tank to bring water into the 10gallon refugium.
The return will be a 402 aquaclear powerhead. I need to know if this is okay for a basic fuge.
I do have a wet/dry, which is why I think this would be beneficial.
I need to know if this basic design would be okay.
The tank has been up for a month and a half. I'm not looking for alot of flow from the powerhead bringing the water back up.

I used the same powerhead for my refugium (see my dyi refugium thread). Not very much flow but it does seem to work. I also added the cylinder filter on the powerhead intake.
I did have problems using the clear vinal tubing as a return to the tank. I recommend you use PVC pipe. It is cheap and very eash to work with.
Also be sure to test the system. I had more than one flood before (hopefully) getting it right. Be sure that when the power fails the refug does not overflow. And be sure that when the power returns, the syphon is still working or the tank will overflow.