Refugium in Overflows??

gregm779

I'm thinking about getting a set of durso stand pipes for my 125g reef and was thinking about making my overflows refugiums. I wanted to put some miracle mud and plant to help control nitrates. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything similar or has any comments about this. Below is a pic from their website and what it looks in the compartment with one installed.

T

thomas712

And heaven help you if you ever have to remove that standpipe if anything ever clogs it or a fish jumps into that place If you had plants in there do you think you could have enough light for them to survive? What if they went sexual on you? Not the best place for a fuge IMO.

nm reef

Somebody else was akin' a question like this recently...my response is the same now as then....I prefer to keep my overflows clear of any possible problems...and sand/mud/algae to me is just an invitation to a problem. Besides most overflows are so high in flow rate that there wouldn't be much benefit.:thinking:

dacia

I've honestly never heard of something like this. My first thought was, "what if something grows so much that the pipe gets blocked and everything overflows onto the floor?" Sounds too risky for me.

nm reef

True about the rubble....but I wouldn't dare risk much more than a bit of rubble...the risk of a clog is just too high in my opinion.:thinking:

gregm779

Thanks for the replies it's what I expected. I'll throw some live rubble in there to help out with pods.

elohssa

The Durso isn't necessary.
I have a straight pipe in one of my overflows without the bs on the top. It's wisper quiet and the pods do love it!

bang guy

There are a lot of variables that can cause a noisy overflow. Perhaps yours has the perfect flow to prevent the slurping but trust me, it's not all that common.