Removing Phosphates

chrisb430

Whats the best way to remove Phosphates from the reef tank. I know Phosphates are in just about all foods, to much lighting, and tap water. It is hard sometimes to get to the LFS to get RO water for top off so at times i do use tap water with prime.

chrisb430

I use phosguard and chemi pure elite. I dont really have room for a reactor. I only have a 20gal long. I saw at a LFS they have these drops little $$ but and did not know how long it would last.

meowzer

What are your phosphate reading? How often and how much water do you change?
What's in the tank (fish) and what and how much do you feed?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb430 http:///forum/thread/383157/removing-phosphates#post_3349159
I use phosguard and chemi pure elite. I dont really have room for a reactor. I only have a 20gal long. I saw at a LFS they have these drops little $$ but and did not know how long it would last.
This should be enough for a 20G tank.
I would suggest getting an RO/DI unit. If you really can't afford that, look into the API Tap Water Filter, I used one for a very long time, even filled up my 155G using it. They do work. IMO, anything is better than tap water.

chrisb430

API test around .50 If i chane the water weekly i do 20% so about 5 gal. I have some clowns, goby, blennie and chromis about 5 fish and a cleanner shrimp! I feed 1 time a day. 2-3 times a week frozen mysis, 1-2 days a week pellets by instant ocean. sometimes freeze dried mysis.

meowzer

I also used the tap water filter for a while.....and YES, it's better then nothing
stop feeding the pellets and freeze dried.....just do the frozen, BUT rinse it first
thaw it in a small cup of water, then drain it into a fish net.....you would be surprised what comes off
ALSO....what type of filter do you have?

kender

Even better then store bought frozen is homemade! ;-) My fishies go CRAZY over it. Its a literal feeding frenzy every time food goes into the tank. My clowns crack me up. They sense the food moments before it even enters the tank. Its nuts.

chrisb430

Not sure what happen so i will re-type it. I was using a bio wheel but just switched to a Fluval C series 5 Stage filter and a Rio Nano Skimmer since the bio wheel died. I have not checked the levels since i got the new filters. They only been going for a week. My guess is that i will still have phosphates since i am using the same food. When you feed with frozen food do you rinse with tap water??

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb430 http:///forum/thread/383157/removing-phosphates#post_3349406
Not sure what happen so i will re-type it. I was using a bio wheel but just switched to a Fluval C series 5 Stage filter and a Rio Nano Skimmer since the bio wheel died. I have not checked the levels since i got the new filters. They only been going for a week. My guess is that i will still have phosphates since i am using the same food. When you feed with frozen food do you rinse with tap water??
Yes I do, some use ro water, BUT....I don;t...LOL
rinse the frozen, feed less, and don't use the pellets for now

kender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb430 http:///forum/thread/383157/removing-phosphates#post_3349400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kender
http:///forum/thread/383157/removing-phosphates#post_3349242
Even better then store bought frozen is homemade! ;-) My fishies go CRAZY over it. Its a literal feeding frenzy every time food goes into the tank. My clowns crack me up. They sense the food moments before it even enters the tank. Its nuts.
what is your homemade fish food???
I just go to the grocery store and buy fresh, raw fish. Four large scallops, four large shrimp, 1/4# salmon and 1/4# tuna, what ever they have really and then bring it home. It doesn't take much to go a long, LONG way. You can also add any vitamins that you want to ad this time. Take a piece of fresh garlic and use a garlic press on it (and by piece I mean a single clove or two, not the whole thing) and then run it all though a blender till its chopped up pretty good. You'll have to add a little ro water in small amounts as you chop it in the blender. I use one of those magic bullets, they work like a charm and I have a dedicated fish food cup that no one else touches so no cross contamination.
You just put the finish product into a bunch of freezer bags. Takes a little practice on the amount but you put enough so that you can flatten it out into a sheet in the freezer bag and seal it before tossing it in the freezer just like the store bought freezer sheets. Then once its done you just break off pieces at your whim to feed to your fishes. Ten times cheaper and the fish love it!

chrisb430

No phosphates in that at all?? could i use clams, mussles, or even scallops?? what about Veggies?? I will try that sounds like it could be a great diet!!!

novahobbies

Can I make a small suggestion? Watch the salmon content. Farmed salmon is LOADED with antibiotics and growth hormones. I don't eat it, and I can't imagine it's all that great for our tankmates, either.
Wild salmon, now that's another story. If you can get wild pacific salmon for a good price, go for it.