repeating ich occurances

fishy1

Please help!

I have had an ich re-occurance three times in my tank. Twice I had not added any new fish for approximately 6 months. Why does it keep coming back???
fish:
batfish (most frequently affected)
clownfish
royal gramma
pseudochromis
mandarin
temp: 80-82 (sun)
PH 7.5
salinity .022
nitrate 10
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
My tank has been up for almost two years.
I have a treatment tank I usually leave them in for three weeks, treated for two. I also feed them an anti-parasite food. They are always healthy when I put them back in the "real" tank, but three or four weeks later my batfish starts to get it again. I have a UV on at all times now and have since the second occurance.
I'm putting them in for the third time tonight. This time I did add a new fish (psuedochromis three weeks ago). He has it now.
Advice????

Fishy1 :happyfish

feixjai

how big is your tank? i think you should leave them in the tank for probably one more week. you have to wait until all the parasites dont have any fish to feed on and they die. how do you treat your fish? and what do you use to treat it? do you use garlic or zoecon?

E

exile415

i wouldn't put a batfish in anything less than a 180gallon

aquageek

I have been having similar problems with ICH too. I decided to try Seachem's PARAGUARD and have had great results from it.

scubadoo

Ich has never left your system or is reintroduced with the new additions. I am ot surprised that your uv has been ineffective...they are a waste of money if you purchased it thinking it will kill parasites.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
My experience with UVs is that it can be effective in preventing ich, but not so effective as a "treatment" once the fish have parasities. Others would argue with me that they are not effective at all.
UVs should only be used in FO tanks, not reef or fowlr.

fishy1

Yes, this tank is only 46 gallons, but I'm looking for a 180 gallon already. I like that size. My batfish is only up to 2 inches or so right now, not to worry, he'll be okay! :joy:
I am using copper in QT tank along with the anti-parasite food.
I have noticed that the UV seems to keep things from getting worse. I bought it after the second occurance to stave off any new parasites that came in on new fish mainly. I thought ich died after 2 weeks; hence the 3 weeks I've been leaving them in there.
So I should try a month?
Fine with me.

Is the copper not the best for ich? I thought it would kill most host parasites. Is that right?
Thanks for all you help!

the reef

i belive that your fish are becoming more reseptible to the ich because they get stressed mostly cauze from your low sg and a low ph like that would stress the fish out very much 7.5 is way to low for saltwaterfish I would put your fish in the quarintie tank and get your sg up to at lest 1.023 to 1.025 and your ph up to 8.0 to 8.3 then reaclumate them in a bucket with a aclumation of 2 hours then put them back in and then give them some garlic to help their imune system to fully develop this will help the ich to repell of the host not notticing the host for the most part and they can die off natrually
just remember the more stressed your fish become could damage their imune system and be able to get more parisites. if you try this and still nothing I would use ruby reefs kick ich it is safe for fish inverts and corals

O

oreo12

I have gotten rid of ich 2 times once in my 54 and then in my 75 gal with that great product kick ich you can get it at that pet place. com Beth don't like it there is not enough work in for her likeing. No droping the pacific crav. no moving live rock and it only takes 14 days and you are ich free you treat the fish in the tank they live in without water changes this stuff is great. Try it follow the directions it will work.

fishy1

Actually, I corrected those numbers in the second post. I test my fresh water tankk at the same time and was going from what my numbers always are. They are at.022 to.023 salinity and I have to add PH mix, but it is always close to 8.5. Sorry I messed that up.
How much garlic????????? :jumping:
Thanks! :happyfish

scubadoo

Originally Posted by oreo12
I have gotten rid of ich 2 times once in my 54 and then in my 75 gal with that great product kick ich you can get it at that pet place. com Beth don't like it there is not enough work in for her likeing. No droping the pacific crav. no moving live rock and it only takes 14 days and you are ich free you treat the fish in the tank they live in without water changes this stuff is great. Try it follow the directions it will work.
The problem with Kick Ich is that it defies logic....how can this so called miracle cure nuke one invert while leaving all others alone? If you used this product and your fish got better it is because enviornmental conditions improved or the immune systems of your animals improved. When this happens a coorelation is naturally drawn as to the effectiveness of the voodoo water but it is not necessarily correct.
In my opinion the product is garbage with absolutely zero science to back-up the claims. Contact the manufacturer and ask them to produce the sceintific data supporting their claims. It does not exist or is pure BS.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Fishy1
Yes, this
tank is only 46 gallons, but I'm looking for a 180 gallon already. I like that size. My batfish is only up to 2 inches or so right now, not to worry, he'll be okay! :joy:
I am using copper in QT tank along with the anti-parasite food.
I have noticed that the UV seems to keep things from getting worse. I bought it after the second occurance to stave off any new parasites that came in on new fish mainly. I thought ich died after 2 weeks; hence the 3 weeks I've been leaving them in there.
So I should try a month?
Fine with me.

Is the copper not the best for ich? I thought it would kill most host parasites. Is that right?
Thanks for all you help!
Unless there has been some recent breakthrough...the only proven additive to kill parasites is copper. THe only proven treatment to kill parasites is hyposalinity. Some beleive garlic can be effective in combatting/preventing the disease. There are not too many studies out there to support this position....but I feed my fish garlic soaked food a few times a week.
Leave the animals in QT for six weeks and let the main display run fallow. This will break the cycle. Some advocate 30 days but I beleive it is possible for the cycle to continue past the 30 day period.
JMO

fishy1

How do you soak their food in garlic? Just add some fresh cut up garlic to the food for a few minutes? An itty bitty bit, say 1/16 th of a cube of frozen food squares?
I have them in Quarantine and will leave them there for 6 weeks as you suggested. I think you're right when you say some infestations can last longer than that (clearly).
I am using the copper treatment Sea Cure. It always works well...unless the tank you put them back into is still infested that is.

Thanks again!

O

oreo12

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
The problem with Kick Ich is that it defies logic....how can this so called miracle cure nuke one invert while leaving all others alone? If you used this product and your fish got better it is because enviornmental conditions improved or the immune systems of your animals improved. When this happens a coorelation is naturally drawn as to the effectiveness of the voodoo water but it is not necessarily correct.
In my opinion the product is garbage with absolutely zero science to back-up the claims. Contact the manufacturer and ask them to produce the sceintific data supporting their claims. It does not exist or is pure BS.
Yea my 13 inch long engeiner coby went from being covered in white spots his eys looked bad to just spotless due to his emune system changing in 2 weeks after his buddy the puffer crooked. sory bud kick ich works try it you will like it. But that is alright with me if you guys won't try it might make it easy for me to find it on the shelfs because if you all tried they could't make enough it is that good. thank God for kick ich. Hum why dose some bug killers kill some bugs but not others or why dose weed killer kill weeds but not the grass? Must be magic. If you want the easy and best way to get reid of ich use kick ich. If you have time and a bunch of cash to waist use hypo.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by oreo12
Yea my 13 inch long engeiner coby went from being covered in white spots his eys looked bad to just spotless due to his emune system changing in 2 weeks after his buddy the puffer crooked. sory bud kick ich works try it you will like it. But that is alright with me if you guys won't try it might make it easy for me to find it on the shelfs because if you all tried they could't make enough it is that good. thank God for kick ich. Hum why dose some bug killers kill some bugs but not others or why dose weed killer kill weeds but not the grass? Must be magic. If you want the easy and best way to get reid of ich use kick ich. If you have time and a bunch of cash to waist use hypo.
:notsure:

the reef

use the garlic extrem but if you cant find it go to the store and get the liquid garlic extract for the most part it should be just the same as garlic extrem and costs about the same just make shre that it is 100 percent garlic extract and I belive kick ich is some kind of means that will diskise the host thus natrualy dieing off in the freeborn stage once they are free born they have to atach to a host to survive so I belive the kick ich is afecting these parisites in this free born stage.