Replacing PC...

puff daddy

Okay i know that i should not replace ALL of my bulbs at once. I have 4 blue and 4 white PC's, how do I need to go about replacing them? Two at a time one of each color? Thanks for advise...

bang guy

8 bulbs total?
If it were me and I didn't have a lux meter I'd probably have two schedules since actinic bulbs don't last as long as daylight.
I'd replace a white bulb every 3 months and an actinic bulb every 2 months.
If I were running these bulbs on an IceCap ballast then I'd replace a white bulb every 4 months and an actinic bulb every 3 months since bulbs seem to be useful longer on the IceCaps.
Don't try marking the bulbs with dates. The markings often disintegrate from the combination of heat, salt and humidity (lessons learned
).
Use a spreadsheet or something to keep track of which bulb was installed and it's replacement date.

[hr]
With a lux meter I'd record the lux reading of the bulb types after they've been broken in (about 3 weeks) and then only replace the bulbs after they've lost a percentage of their lumens. 15 - 20%, or whatever you want for your "useful life threshold".

havitmyway

you take them out and put the new ones in!!!! i know it might sound hard but its not ...stagger the bulbs :notsure:

puff daddy

Originally Posted by havitmyway
you take them out and put the new ones in!!!! i know it might sound hard but its not ...stagger the bulbs :notsure:

Really that is what i do? I had not a clue..

I know how to replace just not how many at a time.
Yes 8 bulbs total.

speg

Explain why you wouldnt replace them all at the same time? Cause.. thats what i've always done.

oceana

Originally Posted by Speg
Explain why you wouldnt replace them all at the same time? Cause.. thats what i've always done.

becasue if the bulbs are really old the difference on light canbe rather large and shock the corals. so you replace them over a short time frame to reduce and shock.
with that said i also replace mine all at once. i replace my MH every 6 months so the light is not that much different. plus there are plenty of people willing to buy the used bulbs for a rather high price so i use that money to help buy the new ones

bang guy

Exactly what Oceana said. It doesn't apply to MH as much though. Flourescent burn a lot brighter for the fist 100 hours or so. Sometime 15-25% brighter than they will after the break-in period. Add that to an old bulb that's burning 15% less bright and it'a a huge light difference.
IMO the second reason is just as important - stability. Staggering bulb replacements means that the corals are receiving about the same amount of light all the time. They don't have to waste energy adapting to differing lighting intensities.
In my experience when you have a lot of bulbs over a tank like 6 or more and you replace all of the bulbs at once many of the corals will retreat, some will even lose color.

speg

Originally Posted by oceana
becasue if the bulbs are really old the difference on light canbe rather large and shock the corals. so you replace them over a short time frame to reduce and shock.
with that said i also replace mine all at once. i replace my MH every 6 months so the light is not that much different. plus there are plenty of people willing to buy the used bulbs for a rather high price so i use that money to help buy the new ones

Ah, I figured that was probably the reason... i'll continue changing them all at once though ;) havent got the kinda time to change them one at a time! I change mine every 6 months instead of a year like they 'can' go to.
People buy old bulbs? seriously? Explain!

speg

No offense.. but I really feel that it isnt such a big deal.. well.. in some situations you may wanna do each one at different times if you have delicate corals and sps and etc. I really doubt that it would have much negative effect on leathers/shrooms/zoos/similar hardy coral. I mean.. i've never done it and havent noticed that the corals show ANY sign of stress.. and i've replaced some bulbs that were older than a year all at once...
Just my opinion.

oceana

Originally Posted by Speg
Ah, I figured that was probably the reason... i'll continue changing them all at once though ;) havent got the kinda time to change them one at a time! I change mine every 6 months instead of a year like they 'can' go to.
People buy old bulbs? seriously? Explain!
honestly i have no idea why. i sold my last set of radium bulbs that were 7 months old for 40 bucks each. i guess a older bulbs is better then no bulb at all for some people.

speg

That is very interesting... I keep my most recent changed bulbs just incase something happens to the new ones.... but maybe i'll see if I can get anything for my old ones.