RO/DI Alternative

vyperone

While I have searched this board looking for the answer, I have been unable to find one.
I am getting tired of paying the high cost of membrane replacements and want something better. Does anyone have any ideas? I mean besides getting rid of the tank?

rmleal

ya this very good and great reviews. work great and cheap i paid $50 and the cartradges are like $30

moraym

oooh, more details please.
i'm in the market for a new RO/DI, and would love an alternative.

rmleal

i just ordered this. here are some specs:
Not only does the Tap Water Purifier make the perfect water for your aquarium fishes, it also cuts down on aquarium maintenance by eliminating chemicals that cause the white crusty buildup and promote algae growth. Tap Water Purifier comes fully assembled and attaches to your faucet in seconds. As the cartridge changes color, the Tap Water Purifier removes all dissolved minerals, including calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, sulfate, chloride, carbonate, fluoride; all heavy metals including copper, zinc, lead, iron, cadmium, and manganese; algae-promoting nutrients including phosphate, nitrate, ammonia, silicate, and nitrate; chlorine and chloramine; radon; and organic pollutants including insecticides, herbicides, PCBs, pesticides, gasoline, fuel oil and agricultural and industrial pollutants. The Tap Water Purifier filters ten gallons of water per hour. Each cartridge purifies an average of 50-150 gallons of water, depending on the mineral content of your tap water. pH can be easily adjusted from 5.5 to 8.0. Water hardness can be easily adjusted from 0 ppm to 300 ppm. The kit includes completely assembled Tap Water Purifier, faucet adapter which attaches instantly to any faucet, kink-free tubing, Electro-Right and pH Adjuster water additives. The Kit makes perfect water for discus, angelfish, tetras and all soft water tropical fish--makes perfect soft water, pH can be easily adjusted from 5.5 to 7.0 and water hardness can be easily adjusted from 0 ppm to 60 ppm. It also makes perfect water for community aquariums--makes perfect fresh water at a pH of 7.0 and a water hardness of 60 ppm and reduces maintenance time by eliminating white crusty mineral deposits and algae-promoting nutrients. The Tap Water Purifier eliminates all tap water contaminants, providing optimum conditions for delicate saltwater fish and invertebrates. It's the perfect deionized water for topping off fresh and saltwater aquariums.
it also depends on hoe dirty ur water is in ur area but they say a carterage last about 50 - 150 gallons per cartrage

B

brigmanj

I used to have the tap water purifier but had to rid of it. In the south there is al ot of mineral content in the tap water and it would only last 30 or 40 gallons before it was purple and exhausted. Check the mineral content of your water first before making the purchase of the tap water purifier. I now use a ro/di sterlizier combo and love it. You should only replace the membrane about every 6 months to a year depending on the manufacture.

rmleal

yep he is right i live in massachusetts and i just did up my 55 gal and its maybe a 1/2 inch purple so i hsve lots to go . im happy up here the water is better or i would have to spend alot of money

oscardeuce

As above, I'd get about 50 gallons. It did work well, but I like my RO unit much better. If your membrane is fouling tht fast, either put a water softener before it and/or get backflush kit.

golfish

Originally posted by VyperOne
I am getting tired of paying the high cost of membrane replacements ?

Gee, I've replaced my membrane twice in the past 5 years (even that was overkill) If you use a GOOD membrane, good sediment and carbon block filters and a flush kit your membrane SHOULD last for years.

nas19320

Originally posted by golfish
Gee, I've replaced my membrane twice in the past 5 years (even that was overkill) If you use a GOOD membrane, good sediment and carbon block filters and a flush kit your membrane SHOULD last for years.

Thats what I thought. I was always told that a membrane should last 3-5 years. Mine has been going for 2 years and still has the same output as the day I bought it.

steveoutla

But I heard that with RODI you only get about 1 gallon of water per 5 gallons that pass through it. That is a hell of a lot of waste unless you have a way to recycle it. There is also another alternative. Home Depot sells a whole house sediment filter. The filter unit and cartridge run for about 70 bucks and for a family of 5 the filter is said to last 4-6 months. If you have one of these on your water line coming in that should make this Tap Water Purifier last much longer.

moraym

Thats what i meant, what membranes are you using?
I havent used RO/DI in quite some time, since I moved last year. Used the roommate's, so now i'm looking for my own RO/DI unit.

nas19320

The membrane that comes with the Typhoon is a DOW Filmtec membrane, specifically the 75gpd rated which has a 98% rejection rate. Much better than the 90% rejection rate of the 100 gpd membrane.

golfish

Originally posted by MorayM
Nas and Golfish, what brand(s) are you running?

I have a Specratpure unit....Its a very costly unit. My advice is to stay with the unit Nas has and upgraded your cartridges and membane IF needed. And stay away from the 100 gpd units.

6stokes

Nas19320 and Golfish, I have a DOW 100 gpd membrane and it is rated at 98% rejection according to the specifications. Why do you both recommend not getting the 100 gpd?