RO/DI as important with well water

charvel

I know alot of people are users that have tap water. I was just thinking that I don't know of people using them alot with well water. I havent been using one and just set up a 120 and was wondering if more people get away with not having one with wells that with tap. Thanks, Mike.

bang guy

Hey Mike,
You'll have to take some precautions. First thing is to get a detailed analysis of heavy metals in your water. Then you need to decide if it's good enough for an expensive reef tank. There's no reason to destroy a $5,000 Reef Tank just to save a couple hundred bucks on a RO/DI system.
That said... I use well water.
I've always used RO/DI in the past. I started propogating snails, dusters, bugs, etc. To help that along I started adding Iron and Silicate to spur Diatom and Phytoplankton growth for food.
Then I noticed that our well water (we also have a tap to the village water) was very high in Ca and Carbonate.
It didn't take long for me to realize I was taking everything out of the water using the RO/DI and then simply putting it back in though supplements.
You must get the water tested first though before you can make an intelligent decision. Iron, Phosphate, Nitrate, and Silicate in well water translate to Diatoms. You'll need to find a way to deal with them.
Guy