RO/ DI question

u mike

I need some help with my ro unit, Iam looking for a way to winterize the tubing. Right now we are going through a very cold spell. my unit is in the basement, the waste line run out the wall into the side garden( great in the summer) , what I was thinking was to get some electric metal run the tubing into it then wrap a heater cord around it.I know they use this on mobile homes to keep pipes warm. any other ideas

flower

Back when I owned a mobile home we used a heat tape...you actually wrap it and plug it in. However in your basement a plain insulated wrap should be enough or your other house pipes would burst. A small heater on in the basement would work too.

bang guy

I have small cooler filled with water and a spare heater to warm the water. I have about 15' of tubing coiled in the cooler to warm the source water before it goes into the RO.

u mike

it is not inside i am worried about the outside of the tubing is what is freezing. once it gets past the cinder block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382552/ro-di-question#post_3339442

Back when I owned a mobile home we used a heat tape...you actually wrap it and plug it in. However in your basement a plain insulated wrap should be enough or your other house pipes would burst. A small heater on in the basement would work too.

acrylic51

U mike I would think the heat tape you had mentioned would work. You don't have any type of indoor drain in the basement?

u mike

the sump for the basement is on the other side about 40 feet away. was hoping not to use the sump( last year the float got stuck flooded whole basement) what I am doing right now is running the unit during the day. lately the temps have been above freezing.i also have been pulling the waste cord in close to the house as possible will stay a hair bit warmer. just can't remember such a long cold spell around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/382552/ro-di-question#post_3341188
U mike I would think the heat tape you had mentioned would work. You don't have any type of indoor drain in the basement?