RO/DI System

mchabot

I know I'm getting ready to open up a huge can of worms here but what is the best RO/DI system in terms of value (most bang for the buck). My LFS charges $1 a gallon for RO water and with a 75 gallon tank I think I could probably spend a couple hundred dollars pretty quick doing water changes.

dragonzim

I have a Coralife PureFlow II 4 stage unit that I got from my LFS for about $129. I think it's great. A lot of people here use the Typhoon units from ***** as well.

ninjamini

$1/gal thats just wrong. I pay $.35/gal and I figured it was 10 months to pay for it self.
I like the one from air water and ice. Its a good ro/di. I met the president and he is cool. He also supports the local fish club.

mchabot

Originally Posted by wyvern
I use the home/reef unit from the air water ice. I love it!
Are you talking about this one?
Please do not post links talking about the brand is fine but no links to their site thank you .

mchabot

Originally Posted by Bronco300
i use the premium reef ro/di kit, got it for around 150...works great.
Is this made by air water ice? I'm not sure exactly which company you are referring to. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.
Matt
-edit-
Did some more searching and found out premium reef is the name of the company, anyone have any others I should be considering?

bronco300

spectrapure is a good brand, but more expensive...premium reef is basically the same as a lot of others, but uses the spectrapure filters

reefkprz

Originally Posted by DragonZim
I have a Coralife PureFlow II 4 stage unit that I got from my LFS for about $129. I think it's great. A lot of people here use the Typhoon units from airwaterice.com as well.
I use the same one "pure flow II" the only thing I would do differently is buy the unit with the pressure booster pump becasue my water pressure isnt nearly high enough so 50 GPD turns into 43 gpd

sly

I got a Whirlpool RO system from Lowe's. They come with a holding tank which means that you always have water on demand. They work just as good a RO units designed for aquariums and the best part is that you can just drive to Lowe's whenever you need replacement filter cartriges. They mount under the sink and so it makes good drinking water also.

mchabot

I just called my LFS and they have a aqua fx that does RO and DI for about 200 dollars. Does anyone know about this company? The guy at the store said they make these for several other companies and put their name on them. Any comments from anyone?

sly

I haven't heard of them... how hard would it be to get replacement filter cartridges? Do you know any of the specs on it? How many gallons per day, tds, etc.?

mchabot

Thanks for everyones input, I think I'm going with one of the Typhoons from ***** (finally caught on that the moderators don't like brand discussion here) anyone have any suggestions about the specific model, there seem to be several typhoons that have the same basic filtration but different little bells and whistles that I may not understand the value of due to lack of experience.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by mchabot
Thanks for everyones input, I think I'm going with one of the Typhoons from ***** (finally caught on that the moderators don't like brand discussion here) anyone have any suggestions about the specific model, there seem to be several typhoons that have the same basic filtration but different little bells and whistles that I may not understand the value of due to lack of experience.
Brands are fine, company links are a no-no.
Call them. They will walk you through selecting the best machine.
I went with the Typhoon III. Works great, and I have a LOT of stuff in my water.

brandan

X2, Mine is awesome, at only $150 nothing beats it for value.

T

tmy880

Where can I get this unit?

florida joe

Originally Posted by DragonZim
I have a Coralife PureFlow II 4 stage unit that I got from my LFS for about $129. I think it's great. A lot of people here use the Typhoon units from ***** as well.
i have the same unit and love it