RO question

alyssia

I am very new to checking out RO units so please bear with me. On Drs page they have a "tap water filter" that says it removes sediment, heavy metals, organic chemicals, inorganic ions, and creates contaminant free deionized water. Is this basically the same thing as RO water? Does it remove nitrates and phosphates? It is much cheaper than a RO unit. :thinking:

lion_crazz

Yes, but if I am correct in assuming which one you are referring to, it makes a lot less water and you need to remove the cartridges MUCH more often, making it as expensive, if not more than, the RO unit.

jerth6932

Originally Posted by ecoman
not much other then a reverse osmosis membrane will remove 99% of contaminants..
Ro water will usually only filter out up to 95-98%, the way you get the 99-99.99% rating is to put the DI filter on there too, and have a RO/DI system!! I got my system shipped, 75 G per day, and its a RO/DI unit, for $139. They don't have to be expensive, Just good!!! Mine is great!!!

bang guy

The Tap Water purifier is cheaper up front but the recurring expenses happen a lot more often.
If you're using more than 5 gallons a week then the RO/DI units are the better buy in the long run.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
The Tap Water purifier is cheaper up front but the recurring expenses happen a lot more often.
If you're using more than 5 gallons a week then the RO/DI units are the better buy in the long run.

But does the tap water purifier remove the same things as a RO/DI unit?

ecoman

nothing can remove contaminants like a reverse osmosis membrane...
it might remove trace amounts, but the membrane is needed to stop dissolved metals and such.

jerth6932

Originally Posted by ecoman
nothing can remove contaminants like a reverse osmosis membrane...
it might remove trace amounts, but the membrane is needed to stop dissolved metals and such.

bang guy

Originally Posted by alyssia
But does the tap water purifier remove the same things as a RO/DI unit?
The TWP is a DI unit. It will remove any contaminate that has a positive or negative charge. The output water will be perfectly safe for your aquarium.

symon

I didn't want the expense of a RO/DI unit, i found a water supply store that sells me 100 gals for 35 bucks, I get approxamatly 10 gals a week, But this was my solution, it will not work for everyone! For me , i don't have to worry about the expense of the unit and then the ongoing costs of changing out filters and such!

alyssia

Originally Posted by Symon
I didn't want the expense of a RO/DI unit, i found a water supply store that sells me 100 gals for 35 bucks, I get approxamatly 10 gals a week, But this was my solution, it will not work for everyone! For me , i don't have to worry about the expense of the unit and then the ongoing costs of changing out filters and such!

:thinking: that's something to consider...

moneyman

RO is very effective to lower your nitrate for it will filter out a lot of compounds with nitrate ie HNO3 & KNO3. DI only filters out nitrate ion (NO3-).
Here is my drawing of the RO/DI process... water comes into the left. Everything is rejected but for h2o and ion. In the DI unit, there are possitively & negatively charged resin. These resins holds onto the ion in the water. After the entire process, only h2o is allowed to pass.

seahorse11

I just bought a RO/DI unit from the Drs site. Its a kent marine Maxxima HI-S 60. Its awesome. I filled a 90 gallon tank and the first canister for the sediment was completely brown. It was amazing how much sediment came out of the water. I had some questions and called Kent marine and the sales technician was wonderful. He stayed on the phone with me while I connected the hoses and answered all my questions without rushing me. He even gave me his extension so i could reach him if I had any more questions. Getting the unit will be cheaper and easier in the long run. I really didnt feel like running back and forth to Walmart to fill a 90 gallon and for every time I need a topoff. The RO units are currently on sale for a fabulous price.

alyssia

Originally Posted by seahorse11
I just bought a RO/DI unit from the Drs site. Its a kent marine Maxxima HI-S 60. Its awesome. I filled a 90 gallon tank and the first canister for the sediment was completely brown. It was amazing how much sediment came out of the water. I had some questions and called Kent marine and the sales technician was wonderful. He stayed on the phone with me while I connected the hoses and answered all my questions without rushing me. He even gave me his extension so i could reach him if I had any more questions. Getting the unit will be cheaper and easier in the long run. I really didnt feel like running back and forth to Walmart to fill a 90 gallon and for every time I need a topoff. The RO units are currently on sale for a fabulous price.
Thanks!

scottp

Seahorse11,
I was reading your post and had some questions. I would like to install a reverse osmosis filter for my 125 but am not sure if I need to install it underneat my kitchen sink or in an alternate place? Will the water pressure stay the same or does it come out slower from the filter? I am getting the idea that I should probable install it out in the garage and have it fill up a tank. I usually need at least 1-2 gallons a week for top off and 30 gallons every other week for my water change. Do you have any advice?
Thanks
ScottP