RO Re-mineralization?

justinx

I was at a very reputable LFS today when one of the employees had asked me if I remineralize my RO water before using it. I said no and she told me that tap water would be better because it still has minerals in it? I said what about phosphates and silicates and she agreed that these are bad, but that I am better off with these than pure RO water.
Then she suggested a product called aragamite. it is the powedered form of a product that I used to use called aragamilk. But this is besides the point.
Is there anyone out there who feels that Re-mineralization of RO water prior to using it in a reef tank is beneficial and/or necessary?
Or . . . is this person just trying to sell me something . . .
Had I been at any other LFS I dont think that I would have even given it a second thought however, this LFS that is based in detroit here is very well known across the country . . . .

aarone

I have heard of remineralizing RO for freshwater, but do not use tap water in your tank. It might be semi-free, but it is bad fro the system. Aragamilk is a reef supplement that provides trace elements and calcium carbonate buffer. It is a great product.
When the LFS guy talks about mineralizing RO IMO i think he is trying to tell you to supplement your system with trace elements. Most tap water does have these but it also has bad stuff as well. The most common trace elements to supplement with are, strontium and molybdenum, iodine, calcium, magnesium.
I think he was trying to save you money telling you to use tap, rather than having to buy all these products, from him. But thats for you to decide.
HTH
aaron

bang guy

No need to re-mineralize RO water for saltwater use.
Aragamight is not a very efficient method of adding Ca and ALK but it will add some.

justinx

Originally posted by Bang Guy
No need to re-mineralize RO water for saltwater use.
Aragamight is not a very efficient method of adding Ca and ALK but it will add some.

Thats pretty much what I thought too, and I think that you and I had a conversation quite some time ago about aragamilk/might.
I have never added trace elements to my tank other than ca and alk, i doubt that I ever will either. I feel confident enough in my water changes.
I have to admit though that the whole IO thing with thomas and the -- thing that beth has experienced has me wondering. It is about time for me to buy new salt and I wanted to try reef crystals, but I am a little hesitant now.
Justin