RO vs RO/DI

jacksonpt

OK, first some background so you know why I'm asking...
I have a 12g tank - I'm battling an algae problem (diatoms).
Phosphates are a bit high (1ppm).
I suspect silicates are also high, due to the diatoms.
trates/trites/ammonia/ph/sg/temp are all excellent (can't test for anything else as yet).
I've been using tap water w/ conditioner for water changes to this point.
New water tests perfect with the exception of phosphates (1ppm).
I'm on a well, so that poses some problems for RO/DI units, especially the DI part.
So, I'm trying to accomplish 2 things. 1) I want to kick this diatom problem. 2) I want to know the water I'm using for water changes isn't causing problems rather than helping them (as it is now with the phosphates).
Being on a well rather than city water has presented 2 problems. 1) low water pressure, and 2) high CO2 content. The water pressure is an easy fix, the CO2 not so much.
So here's the bottom-line question: Is RO water a significant improvement over conditioned tap water, and how much better would RO/DI water be?
My plan is to buy an RO system now, then add a DI unit to it when I can get the CO2 problem straightened out. I guess I'm wondering if RO is a waste of money without the DI, considering my tank...

nick76

Everyone that uses RO will tell u never use tap water, and after u use it u probably will never go back. Its deffinatly worth it if u got the extra cash to spend on water.

cannonman

I don't think the CO2 will pose as big of a problem as what you think- (I'm no expert though) All I can say is I had a number of small problems with my reef tank with nitrates and such for the first year and a half, bought a R/O DI unit and haven't had any problems for a while. If I were you I would be most concerned with that phosphate level- watch your feeding, too much can jack up the phosphates in a heart beat, you might want to consider some phos ban or similar product. Also one thing I found out... I was using tap water that seemed to be fine but it did have trace amounts of nitrates and things.. It didn't matter for a while but it builds up over time- buy that RO unit!!!

darknes

Yes, RO is significantly better than using tap water. You can usually buy an RO unit with the attached DI filter for a small increase in price. It's just easier that way.

jacksonpt

Cool - thanks.
I'm going to start looking at RO and RO/DI units. If I can find an RO/DI unit with a DI bypass for not much more money than an RO, I'll just go that route and bypass the DI for the time being. Otherwise I'll get an RO system that I can add the DI to at a later date.

bang guy

Ro will remove about 70% of Phosphate and Silicate. There are Hi-S versions of RO membranes that will remove significantly more.