RO Water From The Store?

Does anyone know if buying water from those machines right outside a grocery store (5 gallons for a buck) is safe to use for mixing salt water? I know the machine does RO but I'm concerned about chlorine possibly? Maybe RO takes care of that? How about water from those millions of water stores out there? I want to attempt to mix my own saltwater but I don't own an RO/DI system yet.

bang guy

Generally the RO machines are good. You will want to test every time you get water from them though. I recommend a TDS (Conductivity) Meter. I would test all water that you didn't purify yourself.
I wouldn't worry at all about chlorine. It's the other contaminants that will cause you grief.

flower

TDS meters are expensive, and almost impossible to find to even buy...such has been my experiance.
The wal-mart here sells water for 37 cents a gallon. I used it for years before I got my own RO unit...it was major a pain to lug all those jugs, but it was good water.

loopy101

i use walmart water now as well. i was using a different sorce but after the floods we had last year i recently started having some problems witht he water. but after going back to the water from walmart all my issues cleared right up.

browniebuck

We have them at several local grocery stores for $0.25...I agree that it is a pain to lug the jugs (especially now that I am upgrading from 55 to 150), but I learned my lesson after my first tank....tap water = trouble...our second tank, all RO water, never had any real problems.

flower

Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3150178
We have them at several local grocery stores for $0.25...I agree that it is a pain to lug the jugs (especially now that I am upgrading from 55 to 150), but I learned my lesson after my first tank....tap water = trouble...our second tank, all RO water, never had any real problems.
+1
On a tank that size...time to get an RO unit of your own...my 90g was breaking my back lugging water..

Well my tank is only a 24g so its not that big of a deal. I will probably end up getting an RO unit later but to my understanding they need to be connected to a garden hose type fitting. There is a very strong possibility that I will quit my job and move away for graduate school as early as next June. I don't want to have an RO unit that cannot be used.

flower

Originally Posted by Contraband629
http:///forum/post/3150181
Well my tank is only a 24g so its not that big of a deal. I will probably end up getting an RO unit later but to my understanding they need to be connected to a garden hose type fitting. There is a very strong possibility that I will quit my job and move away for graduate school as early as next June. I don't want to have an RO unit that cannot be used.

Makes sense...

browniebuck

bought an RO unit off of an auction site...didn't realize what else I needed, now trying to find a storage tank that will hold a good amount of water without breaking my bank!

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3150150

TDS meters are expensive, and almost impossible to find to even buy...such has been my experiance.
online they are a dime a dozen and start at under $20. EVERY popular RO vendor (there are many, some that do and dont cater to the aquarium trade) carries several models.
to the original question yes RO removes the chlorine. Actually the carbon block pre filter removes the chlorine before it even reaches the membrane as chlorine quickly destroys TFC RO membranes (all popular hobby and probably most in general use TFC membranes). the only problem with buying from those machines is you have no idea of their maintenence practices hence a TDS meter is pretty much required unless you just hope they keep up with routine filter replacement.

reefjunkiee

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3150150

The wal-mart here sells water for 37 cents a gallon. I used it for years before I got my own RO unit...it was major a pain to lug all those jugs, but it was good water.
huh? they are 20 bucks. and any of the ro vendors online sell them, and include one if you buy a unit.

Ok thanks everyone. RO water from the machines cost 25 cents a gallon here so I mixed my first batch yesterday.... now I am letting it age.

nina&noah

The RO unit I get my water from is outside of my local grocery store. The display where you put the money in tells you the date of the last time it's been serviced. I haven't had a problem so far.
I am going to ask for an RO unit for Christmas.

atggaattctag

I think an RO/DI unit is a great investment. Got mine for just over a hundred dollars. Don't have to lug water across town. And flip the DI bypass and out comes RO drinking water just as good or better than the bottled stuff.