RO water

shawn843

Ok, so I have a concern. I was adding some regular freshwater RO water to my tank today and I noticed that the water had that very slimey look like theres been a ton of conditioner added to it. I just started getting my RO water from a LFS for 69 cents a gallon or something. I'm just concerned they are trying to sell me tap water with conditioner in it. It just doesn't seem right. Should I ask to see where hes getting it from next time? Let me know what you guys think.

bang guy

I would test any RO water you use with a conductivity meter (TDS meter), especially if it's purchased.

matth2181

if u put straight freshwater into saltwater it takes a second for it to diffuse into the rest of the salt water. what ur seeing is the freshwater trying to mix with salt water, and i makes like a oil mixing with water effect, i know exactly what your talking about... but yes i would still test the water ur buying, but its most likely just that ur adding freshwater straight into the salt water

shawn843

ya youre right its just the mixing. I just didnt realize it was gonna look like that. How should I test the water, not having a conductivity monitor. Should I ask them to do it on the water I get from the LFS?

mie

One lfs store in my area had ro tds readings higher than my tap water readings. Just because a store sells it does'nt make it better.

snakeblitz33

Yes, you can ask them to TDS test their water in front of you - and you should if you are going to buy your water - especially for .69 a gallon.

the RO system membranes get used up fast.. as they probably need hundreds of gallon a day to maintain their tanks... they prob have an industrial RO system, but to keep the TDS reading low they would have to change their filters once a week, and filters for those systems run 100 on the cheap side.. chances our they do it once a month if not less than that...

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by shawn843
http:///forum/post/3146268
nvm I see a couple small ones that are around thirty. will the cheaper ones be accurate tho?
Get them to test it in front of you for free?
A good one will run you about 80 to 100 if you want it to be really accurate.

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3146611
Get them to test it in front of you for free?
A good one will run you about 80 to 100 if you want it to be really accurate.
By the way- all a TDS meter does i measure the amount of electrical conductivity between the two metal points. You see, pure water doesn't conduct electricity... or show symptoms of boiling. Pure water can also rust metal A LOT faster than reguar water. Just FYI. :D

bang guy

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3146613
Pure water can also rust metal A LOT faster than reguar water. Just FYI. :D
I just tested this. { Sorry, I couldn't just take your word for it }
I dropped a staple in some tank water at the same time I dropped a staple in some RO/DI.
The staple in the tank water showed rust in less than an hour. After two hours the staple in the RO/DI water still has no rust on it.
Do it with tap water and post your results. After 30 years in the hobby saltwater is "regular" water for me.