Rock Work

jambi0n

Hey everyone,
Here is a pic of my rock work. Just got the rock today. 90 gal tank, 100lbs of LS 90 lbs of LR. What do you all think?
J

jambi0n

thanks a lot... i tried to have a lot of caves and stuff for the fish when I get them after they cycle. But sorry that the picture is small, I took it with my camera phone.

lennon

Originally Posted by jambi0n
here'a a clearer picture

Great rock work!!
I am new to this..what kind of rock did you use? Did you get it from lfs?
It looks really good..

jambi0n

thanks for the comments everyone
i really appreciate it. and thanks for all the help that everyone has given me when dumb questions were being asked.
hopefully in 3 more weeks the tank is fully cycled and then the fun part. :jumping: adding the fish.

jambi0n

lennon,
i used fiji rock. i did get it from my LFS. They said it was fully cured, and they were selling it for only 3.79 a lb, if you buy 30 lbs or more. I think the rock is fully cured too because, the tank doesnt smell and my nitrates and nitrites aren't spiking either. Even though I threw in the raw shrimp to start the cycle. I think the LR and the LS are doing it's job.
Pretty Soon ---> :happyfish

jambi0n

thanks for the compliments everyone.
nomad, nothing in the tank yet, but soon there will be all sorts of living creatures in there.

seahorse11, the rocks are just stacked together, i didnt want to glue anything, if i decide to move rocks around if the future fish decide to get territorial and try to kill one another.
computrgk, the dimensions are 4ft long, about 1 1/2 ft wide, and 2 feet tall. It's pretty big and I dont think i'm going to upgrade. Spent too much on the tank already, and i'm still not done.

again thanks for the compliments... will post pictures later on when things need to be added.
Oh, by the way, does anyone know how long it takes for algae to grow? It's been a week and all I see is water, LS and LR.

jambi0n

1st pix - Raw shrimp
2nd pix - If the rock was still live I'd have these. Not sure what they are though.
3rd pix - Another, if the was still live.

seahorse11

Jambion,
I love your rock work, its one of the best I have seen. Do you have any of the rock resting against the back glass? Was it hard to make the caves? I am setting up a 125 gallon and would love to set my rocks like that....mind if I copy you??? LOL. :cheer:

oceanist

what LFS did you go to , i live in el dorado hills i went to lees feed for mine , i was gonna go to o street but lees feed had better deals on fiji

jambi0n

Sorry for the late reply's everyone, but I just got home from work.

Seahorse11, go for it,
that's how I got ideas for my Rock Work. Just look at all the pictures on the picture thread and steal some ideas. I did lay some of the rock against the back of the tank, but I put some of the rock in the middle and then just went on from there. Again I didnt use glue or anything in case I get some new ides or if I have to remove some rock for some reason. What I recomend though Seahorse is that you buy rock from the LFS. Cuz that is what I did. So that way you can look at the rock that you are getting, and pick out the ones that have a lot of holes and little crevices, for your fish to swim in. I know it may be more expensive, but I think it was worth it, and the rock was fully cured too, and it was cheap.
Shoot me an e-mail if you want - jambi0n@yahoo.com - i'll give you thier info and maybe you can order some rock from them of something.
And post some pics of your tank when that BADBOY is up!!!

Oceanist, the LFS I went to is called Exotic Aquarium on Florin Rd in south Sac. They have a good price if you buy more than 30 lbs. I was going to buy rock from O st, cuz one of my friends work there, but the LR was pretty expensive, so i'm just going to buy my fish there. I've never been to Lee's Feed, how are they with the selection of fish?
Post a Pix of your tank... I would really like to see what it looks like and maybe grab a few ideas from it as well. :thinking:
Here's a couple of pix of the side view of the tank.