RODI vs Bacteria

2quills

Anybody know if RO/DI removes bacteria like E.coli?

This is the 3rd time in 10 months our city has issued a mandatory water boil because of the pressence of e coli bacteria. And this time there talking about a month long boil advisory. I don't ever drink city water personally. But I'm wondering about my dogs and fish tank.

Will this hurt my tank?

luvmyreef

I do believe that I have read that it removes it. Does NOT kill it of course, but removes it. You can search online and see what all it does remove. I believe its particle size, etc. Not sure how much it removes, think its based off the membrane, etc. Also, I think that they do have RO/DI with UV to kill bacteria.

bang guy

There are no bacteria or viruses that RO does not remove. They are WAY too large to squeeze through an RO pore. They are all sent to the waste water so if your city has a boil memorandum be careful what you do with the waste water.

DI alone does not remove bacteria.

2quills

That's good to know. Thanks guys/gals.

Pretty scary stuff down here. They've already begun doing a chlorine - burn out. Sounds like the city was cutting corners. Should have been treating with chlorine and ammonia to produce chloromines to treat the water. It's apparently a lot safer. But instead they were just using ammonia alone. Which in and of itself causes the old cast iron pipes to become even more caustic.

Isn't that nice?

bang guy

I would suggest either not using your RO during a chlorine burnout or replacing the carbon stage(s) before and after the burnout. A high level of chlorine will deplete the activated charcoal in the carbon stage and allow chlorine to contact the RO membrane. That will permanently damage the RO membrane making it useless.

2quills

I would suggest either not using your RO during a chlorine burnout or replacing the carbon stage(s) before and after the burnout. A high level of chlorine will deplete the activated charcoal in the carbon stage and allow chlorine to contact the RO membrane. That will permanently damage the RO membrane making it useless.
Yep, I'm trying not to use it this week. But I have some new carbon in there and extra on stand by. Went ahead and ordered a new membrane for once the restrictions are lifted.

Sounds like the city has been manipulating water test results and they've known about issues for a while now. Guess you can't trust anyone out there these days.