Rose BTA

madison

I just picked up a 10" Rose BTA (Singapore) yesterday...I tried to coax it to a certain spot and unfortunately...that didn't work...so it's doing it's normal walking around till his happy thing..
I do however have a quick question...is there really that much of a difference bewteen a Singapore and a China RBTA?...I know the Singapore RBTA is deeper in color but does the health difference warrent such a difference in price?
ie: Singapore 10" RBTA = $120 and a China 10" RBTA = $35

madison

Thank You Thomas!
I was just told by quite a few LFS and even the Wholesellers at the ports that the China species tends to get bleached and are just generally weaker...
Can you tell the difference by looking at them?

bang guy

In my (very limited) experience there are two major differences.
1 - The Chinese Rose will not get big. They get to a certain size and then split.
2 - The Chinese Rose can survive propogation. A razor to cut it in half right through the center of the mouth and then there will be two Roses.
These two differences could easily explain the price difference. Keep in mind these are observations from just a small number of Roses.

T

thomas712

I really don't think so, and I'm not sure how anyone would.
If you had 6 clone RBTA's from singapore and put them in 6 different tanks, with 6 different lightings and water chemsitry you are sure to have 6 different looking RBTA's wouldn't you?
Same with the Chinese variety.
Thats not to say that anything isn't possible though.
If they can get to be the same size and all, then tinkering with your own lighting and chemistry can give you different results and I might just play with that myself someday.
Thomas

madison

Bang
Thomas
...is it also true that the health of the RBTA depreciates as it's cloned repeatedly as in the intergrity of a copy of a copy?
So I guess what's being said here is that regardless of the difference shades of the ROSE color it does not necessary proclaims it's origin? but yet it speaks loudly about it's health?
Just curious...how much would you pay for a 10" pretty deep in color healthy RBTA from Singapore?

T

thomas712

$75-$100 would be what I would call a fair price once for such an animal, thereafter however I would overfeed and have the best lighting system so that I could recoup that price.

madison

I currently have 4x's 250w 14k MH's and about to pick up some actinics to supplment the colors...
anything else I should do as a feeding regiment? or anything else you can think of for me to justify the $125 already spent?
in advance

T

thomas712

Meaty foods 2x per week, mysis, krill, plankon.
Protect your investment by anemone proofing intakes and power heads.
Do a water change just before it arrives to insure good clean healthy water.
Good luck and I claim the first clone.

madison

Good luck and I claim the first clone
Thomas you got a deal! I will even pay for the shipping!
it's truly an amazing speciment...deep reddish pink and also pyscadelic (sp) green and blue around the "lips" at the bottom of the tenticles right before the body/foot and huge! 10" easy when 90% opened
I guess hope it finds a place soon and settle down...I have all the power heads off right now and will pick up some foam sponges on the way home from work today

T

thomas712

Pics please.... :joy:
P.S. I have way too many anemones now.....

bang guy

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Pics please.... :joy:
P.S. I have way too many anemones now.....
Just ship some to me...then you'll have room =O