Rushed in, what can I do?

1journeyman

crmaykish said:
Originally Posted by ackermsb
Please do not put them in the main tank while the LR cures, they will certainly be dead./QUOTE]
I bought my live rock from SWF. Do I still need to worry about curing it?
Once rock is shipped it is no longer "cured" because of the die off it undergoes in shipping.

ackermsb

Thats true. I thought he said he got it from his LFS and went back and reread and it said SWF. YEa it will most likely need to run through the full cycle of about 4 weeks. Pull your fish out, put them in QT, put LR in the tanks throw shrimp in and .... wait
Water changes every day to be safe in QT

greymach

What if he cured the rock in the 20 while the fish were in the 50? He could put pvc and stuff for hiding and the water changes shouldnt be to bad becuase there isnt much die off. I dont think there is any rock in the 50 already. Im still pretty new but isnt this an option?

crmaykish

Originally Posted by GreyMach
What if he cured the rock in the 20 while the fish were in the 50? He could put pvc and stuff for hiding and the water changes shouldnt be to bad becuase there isnt much die off. I dont think there is any rock in the 50 already. Im still pretty new but isnt this an option?
Except then I am just delaying the cycle of main tank, correct?

hatessushi

You really should divide the tank up, whichever one you use for the fish. If you put the damsels in there with the other and have to deal with the ammonia they may get stressed and attack each other.

slugg3r

Sorry to see you stuck in this position. My best advice is to go to your local fish store and buy a ton of live Rock that is already cured. Put it in your display tank and monitor it very closely, preparing to do water changes every day if necessary. Since the Rock is cured if you buy enough of it it should save you a cycle. I'm talking 50lbs or so which will be kind of expensive. When your fish show up if your ammonia hasn't risen you can try to put the fish in but monitor closely.
If it works out OK then cure your SWF.com rock in your QT. Or better yet get a second QT. One for rock curing and one for Fish if your ammonia starts to spike in the DT.
Your 2 tangs will be a problem no matter what. Keep them separated with eggcrate or something until you can find a home for at least one of them, preferrebly both.
The best solution is give the fish to someone else or the LFS but if you are up for spending some money using cured rock might save you.