Sad Day Pink Tip Hatian

walynut

I am VERY upset and trying to figure out what I did wrong. I bought and recieved a pink tip last Wednesday from SWF and as of this morning I officaliy have to say it died. Probably died a few days ago but I just kept thinking it would come around but to no evail.
What are some things that I might have over looked?
Lights are good, all levels were good (Nitrite/nitrate/ammonia/ph/salinity/calcium) water was good, RO.
Sorry I'm just a little upset that this was my first and its dead; makes me wonder if I should even try getting another one.
Thanks, needed to vent!

spanko

An assumption here but you being relatively new to SWF and not seeing anything in your public profile a few questions here.
Tell us about your tank, how long has it been up, what lighting do you have, when you say water was good do you have the actual values of those things listed above, what other inhabitants do you have in the tank?

walynut

The tank has been up for around 6 months.
55 Gallon with about 80 lbs live rock
Fluval for filtration (400)
2 #3 pumps
Values are Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 Ammonia 0 PH 8.3 Salinity I forget and calcium a little low at about 400
Lights are coral life PC's 4 bulb with reflectors 12K
Other folks in the tank;
Blue Damsel
Convict Damsel (?)
Goby
Skunk shrimp
CUC of snails (mixed)
Sand sifting crabs
Rainbow Ricordia (awesome by the way)
Neon zoo (doing good)
Candy Cane coral (frag just started)
Lots of shaving brushes

meowzer

Probably the lights......Believe me...I sadly killed a few anemones cause SOME people had them with pc's
Did not work for me.....I now have metal halides and a very happy healthy BTA

ruthnelson

I am having concerns about my anemone too! Almost all the tenticles are falling off.
If someone could tell me why i would be grateful. I have had him for five months or so.
It happened very fast! Please help!

meowzer

Originally Posted by ruthnelson
http:///forum/post/3211227
I am having concerns about my anemone too! Almost all the tenticles are falling off.
If someone could tell me why i would be grateful. I have had him for five months or so.
It happened very fast! Please help!
Welcome to SWF, BUT we will need a lot more info
can you post EVERYTHING about your tank....size, age, lights, water parameters

walynut

OK I'm probably going to get my but chewed but I have no idea wht my Alkaline is. I have never checked it. I will go to the LFS and buy a test tommorow. What should it be?
When I was in one of the LFS friday, they had a fairly big size pink tip hatian for 14.99 so I tried it again, so far so good, amybe it just wasn't meant to be w/ the other one. Still sad though; hate killin' things.
Truley appreciate your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! et

jam1e

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3209795
Probably the lights......
+1
While my understanding is that Pink Tips need less light than other anemones, I still think you're falling short, although for it to die that quickly is uncommon if lighting is the problem. I would check your alkalinity, and recheck your salinity since you forgot, I usually aim for my alk, to be between 1.8-2.7 Milli equaivalents per liter. Salinity needs to be around 1.026 or 35 ppt. Have you done a water change since the first loss?

walynut

I went back and looked at my records and salinity was 1.025. Yes, I have done a water change, expected to see the values off the chart with it dying in the tank but it didn't. I did about 25 gallon change twice since this event.
As for the alkalinity; I will test that tonight after the fact I know but.....