Safety warning about GFCI

broncofish

I figured there are a lot of us on here that have installed these in our houses.
SAFETY ALERT
UL warns of potential electric shock hazard with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI)
NORTHBROOK, Ill., USA - Aug. 26, 2003 - Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) is notifying consumers, electricians, contractors and manufacturers that the GFCI described below does not meet current UL requirements and may pose a fire or electric shock hazard to users. UL encourages users to stop using the GFCI immediately and return it to the place of purchase.
Name of product: Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). Rated 15 or 20 Amps, 125 volts.
Units: More than 135,000.
Manufacturer: Manufactured by Shanghai Meihao Electric, Inc of Shanghai China and also sold under the name of The Designers Edge, Preferred Industries and USI Electric, Inc.
Date of manufacture: January 2003 to the present.
Hazard: The GFCI may not trip when a ground fault is present, resulting in a risk of electric shock. The GFCI may pose a fire hazard when subjected to a voltage surge commonly associated with a lightning strike.
Identification:
On the GFCI: Company Name or File Number and the date code "2003 X" with the X representing 1 to 52.
On the Packaging: Company Name and Part Number (see below).
Company Name
File Number
Part Number
Preferred Industries
E220379
GFCILO-15, GFCILO-20
Shanghai Meihao Electric, Inc.
E220379
Remedy: If you believe that you may have a GFCI identified in this notice, stop using it immediately. If the GFCI is already installed in your home, contact a qualified electrician to verify the marking and date code and have it replaced with a similarly rated UL Listed GFCI.
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) is an independent, not-for-profit organization that has evaluated products, materials and systems in the interest of public safety for 108 years. More than 17 billion UL Marks appear on products each year, and more than 18,000 types of products are tested at UL's five U.S. laboratories. Worldwide, the UL family of companies and its network of service providers include more than 47 laboratory, testing and certification facilities.

bang guy

Since we have some attention (Thanks Bronco!!) remember that GFCI doesn't prevent you from getting shocked... it just trips very fast if there's a ground fault.
Don't get me wrong... this device could easily save your life but if you make yourself part of the circuit it is protecting you will still get shocked unless you are grounded.

nm reef

Very good point Bang...and excellant heads up broncofish!
A good GFCI is pretty much standard for any electrical outlet near water sources...most building codes now require them.:cool:

entice59

CRAP!!!!!! im pretty sure have that one, i dont have a reciet or the orginal box, but i just had a friend install one for me the other day. I remember the box saying preferred industries. Seems like everything bad always happens to me:mad:
i just recieved a broken t5 bulb!! ahhh what a horrible day!!!!:mad: :mad: