Salifert calcium test help!!

alsie

Can someone straighten me out on a test reading? I did the 1.5ml test and did 3 drops of Ca-1 and then 1/2 spoon of Ca-2 and with the CA-3 regent came up with 0.34 reading when it turned blue. It then states that if I did test using 1.5ml of water multhiply calcium levels by 2. Does this mean I have a calcium level of 660 or if I multhiply 0.34 X 2= 0.68 I have a level of 160. Which way is right?? tanks for helping the old guy!

reefnut

You take the ppm reading and multiply it by 2. So if .34 = 330ppm then it would be that your level is at 660ppm. I would re-test though! 660ppm is high...

broomer5

agreed
I'd run the test again too, and then run it again using 3ml of tankwater, 6 drops of Ca-1, a full scoop of Ca-2
Have you tested for alkaliinity ?

alsie

Reefnut, re-tested and 660 has to be my level - Alkalinity is 1.5. Any suggestions on how to get a balance or get right levels? Salinity 1.026 - Nitrates 25 (Nautilus TE skimmer down for a week waiting for a new part (replacement) Phosphates 0.1 - 54gal corner unit, 15gal ref,sump and did a 10gal water change 2 days ago.

reefnut

Alkalinity is 1.5mql? if so you could being it up to around 4.0mql.
I would do another water change or two and then use a buffer to being your alk up if needed. In bringing your alk up it will lower your calcium.

reefnut

I like Kent superbuffer myself. Personally I would go a head and do another 10g change, test and go from there.

broomer5

alsie
Have you been dosing calcium in some form ?
What kind and how much ?
Can you list and describe all of your tankwater additives ?

alsie

Wanted to start to add corals and had a water test kit that I did not realize was NFG. This kit showed I had high Calcium. Brought a water sample to LFS and their test showed I had low calcium and bought their brand and dosed the tank and also bought one test kit they reccomended. Well I'm overdosed it seems and at this point I don't want to take LFS advice. I went out and bought a Salifert kit and I'm at this point. LFS told me to go easy when I got second bottle of calcium additive from them but it looks as though I did not understand what they meant by easy. They never checked my alk levels. Neither did I. I will get some Kent superbuffer today and also do a 10 gal water change also. I cannot blame the LFS completely but have to take the blame myself also. Reefnut your not making any $$$$ for advising me but LFS has to make a buck. I have not lost any fish over this but am probably giving them a helluva ride they don't need.

bang guy

If you're going to try to raise your ALK do it REALLY slowly or you'll cause a precipitation event.
There's no emergency. I would suggest planning on getting your ALK to 3.5 about 2 weeks from today. Let the Ca drop slowly.
If you're in a hurry then a water change will help lower Ca and raise ALK.

bdhough

Welcome to the fine art of balancing calcium and alk :)
Go easy on the LFS. Having worked at one I can tell you its very hard to diagnose everyones tanks. We could only tell you whats recommended. Even after spending a half hour or an hour with someone i would still forget to tell them something, thats if we are slow, when its busy in there forget it..... There are so many variables to this trade no two tanks are the same and every tank can reach the same goal through very very different means....
EDIT: EVEN THEN i can tell something to someone and they will sometimes ignore it, like this lady who wanted and bought a Med Naso Tang, but didn't tell me she was going to the other LFS to pick up a Full Size Angel. Next day "my fish have ich" what can i do? Oh this was 55 or 75(can't remember).... Or the guy who wanted a 150 dollar french angel to put into a freshwater tank..... But he didn't tell us that and came back the next day wondering why it was dead....
There was always a certain assumption I took when people talked with me. I could usually tell who knew what they were doing or who had no clue....

alsie

I am thankful for all the advice. I will do another water change tonight and will check the new readings in the AM and will go slllooooowwwlllyyyy to get the levels within the guidelines. I liked hearing I wasn't in a emergency situation and that puts everything in a better light. Searching this forum hearing about snowfalls in a tank due to high calcium had me getting the snowblower ready. I want to have a healthy tank and strive to have a full reef that also looks good. With your help I might make it. (Some day!!!)