salinity problem?

hot883

Originally Posted by mr.bled
I have a salinity problem Its at 38 or 1.028 how do you lower it? :help:
By adding fresh R/O water. Drain a gallon of salt water, add a gallon of fresh.
A gallon or 2 at a time will not hurt anything if it is a decent size tank. The key is to change the S.G. slowly.

hot883

will filterd tap water be okay? and its a 20g
thanks for the help!!!
Tap water leads to all kinds of problems. I will NEVER use tap water in my reef tank. I am a water/wastewater utility Sup. for my town as well as the Mayor. UnGodly contaminates are in the tap water that cannot be filtered out by brita filters etc. R/O- reverse osmosis is the ONLY way to go. Barry

mr.bled

yeah thanks I just got done reading a r/o article, seems I can use the water from one of those gallon vending machines.

hot883

yeah thanks I just got done reading a r/o article, seems I can use the water from one of those gallon vending machines.
More tha likely yes you can. Not very handy but it is there. Sometimes LFS sell water too.

reefreak29

will filterd tap water be okay? and its a 20g
thanks for the help!!!
imo for a 20 gal tank i would just do a half gallon

hot883

1 gallon at a time will be ok. Let it filter through and fully merge with the tank water (several hours) and check s.g.

hatessushi

If it's a reef you don't need to lower it much. Since you are a 1.028 you will be safe a 1.027 but I would ultimately take it to 1.025 or 1.026

hot883

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
If it's a reef you don't need to lower it much. Since you are a 1.028 you will be safe a 1.027 but I would ultimately take it to 1.025 or 1.026
I agree. depends on your setup. Inverts and corals need higher S.G. than fish do. 1.023 for fish only/ 1.026 for corals/inverts.