Salinity

tclark828

Hey i just have my tank all set up and running...live rock and sand and everything. When i checked my salinity i noticed that is was high. How can i lower this? I also noticed that the water was a little too warm, so i adjusted the heater. Could this have an effect on the salinity? All of my other tests came back out fine, so when i have this rectified i should be ready to go. Any advice on the first things to put in the tank? The LFS told me some cleaner shrimp and some damsels, is this good advice?
Thanks
Tom

jerryatrick

How long has the tank been set up? If it is still in a cycle then the LFS gave you bad advice on adding livestock so early. The heat can affect salinity. 1.024-1.027 is a good range for specific gravity. If you need to lower it you can take a gallon of saltwater out and slowly drip a gallon of fresh water into the tank.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by joe____17
http:///forum/post/2922532
Never said i wasnt :p
I am just confused why you would suggest that to lower salinty. Evaporated water in the tank is replaced with fresh water to maintain the same salinity. You can't lower the salinity unless you remove saltwater from the tank and replace with fresh water.
You could also do water changes with saltwater at a lower salinity.

bang guy

Heat affects the water density and therefore the Specific Gravity but heat does not affect Salinity.
Your LFS isn't giving you very good advice IMO.
In the future, it you list your water parameters you will be more likely to get better advice. Terms like "LOW" or "HIGH" are not precise enough to give meaningful advice.

joe____17

Originally Posted by JerryAtrick
http:///forum/post/2922541
I am just confused why you would suggest that to lower salinty. Evaporated water in the tank is replaced with fresh water to maintain the same salinity. You can't lower the salinity unless you remove saltwater from the tank and replace with fresh water.
You could also do water changes with saltwater at a lower salinity.
I left out the part about removing some water, my bad.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2922545
Heat affects the water density and therefore the Specific Gravity but heat does not affect Salinity.
Your LFS isn't giving you very good advice IMO.
In the future, it you list your water parameters you will be more likely to get better advice. Terms like "LOW" or "HIGH" are not precise enough to give meaningful advice.
Bang you are absolutely right but it will effect your salinity reading if using a refractometer and you are only reading the salinity side of the scale

bang guy

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2922622
Bang you are absolutely right but it will effect your salinity reading if using a refractometer and you are only reading the salinity side of the scale
Not if you wait the recommended 5 seconds to allow the water droplets to equalize temperature with the Refractometer.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2922637
Not if you wait the recommended 5 seconds to allow the water droplets to equalize temperature with the Refractometer.
correct, most refractos have automatic temperature compensation in them.

shyfish

Hi,
I don't like damsels, they are so mean they kill absolutly everything you put into the tank later. I have a friend that can't even put her hand into the tank without it going after her and drawing blood.
They are so little and beautiful at first and then they grow into monsters. When I was ready to add my first fish I chose a couple of clowns. They get along with everything.
If you go for clowns, always get two and be sure its the kind you really like. They are hardy so they will be around for awhile, and you can't put a differant kind of clown in later. My friend has a 12 yr old clown pair.

bang guy

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2922934
NO they are not!
they are related to damsels like humans are related to monkeys.

They are in the same family. Common names may or may not include Clownfish in the Damselfish Family but think about it.... Clownfish ARE in the Damselfish family along with Chromis, Garibaldi, etc. So, just like any other common name you can say Clownfish are Damsels and be accurate, or you can say of the dozens of Genus in the Damselfish family 2 of them are not called Damsels but the rest are, and also, be just as accurate.
As far as Monkeys and Humans, are they all not Primates? Or are humans not commonly called Primates?

renogaw

damsel:
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Perciformes
Family: Pomacentridae

Genus: Stegastes
Species: S. variabilis
clown:

Subfamily: Amphiprioninae
humans:
Domain: Eukaryota
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Mammalia
Subclass: Theria
Order: Primates
Superfamily: Hominoidea
Family: Hominidae
Subfamily: Homininae
Tribe: Hominini
Subtribe: Hominina
Genus: Homo
Species: H. sapiens
Subspecies: H. s. sapiens
apes:
Suborder: Haplorrhini
Parvorder: Catarrhini
the scientific category that damsels and clowns break off is one step higher than humans and apes. i'd agree that clowns and damsels are Pomacentridae, but all the damsels have their own sub family and all the clowns have their own subfamily.

gmann1139

Aren't all clowns except the maroon in one genus as well, so wouldn't that mean that other than other clown species, damsels are their closest relatives?

bang guy

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2923198
damsel:

Genus: Stegastes
Species: S. variabilis
clown:

Subfamily: Amphiprioninae
humans:
Domain: Eukaryota
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Subclass: Theria
Family: Hominidae
Subfamily: Homininae
Tribe: Hominini
Subtribe: Hominina
Genus: Homo
Species: H. sapiens
Subspecies: H. s. sapiens
apes:
Suborder: Haplorrhini
Parvorder: Catarrhini
the scientific category that damsels and clowns break off is one step higher than humans and apes. i'd agree that clowns and damsels are Pomacentridae, but all the damsels have their own sub family and all the clowns have their own subfamily.
OK Subfamily is new to me. You have me there. In the past Pomacentridae were commonly called "Damselfish". It was the Damselfish Family. Breaking it down into subfamilies does change the structure. I assume Premnas sp. is also in it's own subfamily?
I'll try to keep up :D