Salt Choice

jenni1979

:D Thanks Ryebread. I don't like to be rude because I am not hear to argue with people, I was just giving my opinion. Too bad Krowleey took it the wrong way.

i actually used catalina water and it was a little more expensive but everything was already set and stable. i have two tanks and i used IO in my first one and they are both good, the catilina water and IO

krowleey

That link is a company web site that sells the stuff so you might want to remove all of those links. Krowleey may work for the company or something, who knows
i guess i took that as a personal remark
BTW- There are a thousand articles out there that show other salt mixes as being the best.......just because somebody did a review on something doesn't make it the truth. This is all about opinions.
do me a favor and dont put words in my mouth i didnt say who was the best, BTW i i was simply showing someone info about IO because they asked. and if you checked it out you would see the report didnt bash anyone just shows what the tests consist of compared to NSW.
peace

jenni1979

i paid 50 bucks for a 150 gallon mix so its not too bad but i think i paid 30 bucks for shipping lol but you know what its worth it to me for my animals to have the very best they can get living in a tank after being used to open water. if you want a good site that sells it let me know i know a really good one
Sorry krowleey but I think you did say it was the best in so many words.
But I am tired of arguing about this, so I am outta here. I have better things to do with my time. Goodbye.
:rolleyes:

broomer5

I've always used Instant Ocean, or Reef Crystals as I mentioned.
Here's the deal with saltmix in my opinion, based soley on my limited experience with this hobby.
The saltmix I choose, and we're all free to choose whatever we want, is only one part of the puzzle.
It's no guarentee for success, nor is it going to doom me to failure.
It's a saltmix, and how and what I mix it with can and will determine how it tests out.
I've been able to get IO to test out at different levels for pH, calcium, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrate and phosphate - just by mixing it with different freshwater sources, and varying the aeration time of the "freshwater" vs the "mixed saltwater".
Once we mix up a batch of any saltwater and add it to our tanks - there are so many other factors that can affect the health of the tank, that I've never focused too much on the brand.
I see my choice of using a particular brand of saltmix as just another choice in the hobby.
To me .... it's how I mix it, how I use it, how I run and maintain my tank that is the real challange.
There are so many manufacturers of saltmix, all seem to have their followers, all seem to stay in business.
I can't imagine if a saltmix was so bad that it caused people to fail at keeping a marine tank running well .... that the company would ever sell another bag of the stuff.
I still think it's a personal preference, one that each person will make for his or her tank - according to their own experiences.

stillfrodo

Very new to the hobby as you can see. However from what I have researched and from speaking to people on this board instant ocean is the best. Matter of fact I will be adding my salt mix to my tank today....

ryebread

Originally posted by krowleey
and if you checked it out you would see the report didnt bash anyone just shows what the tests consist of compared to NSW.

I don't care if you "bash" a salt mix company. I was talking about "bashing" a member of this board. Thanks.
Peace to all. :)

T

thomas712

Well lets see, I read the s-15 report at least a year ago and found it very interesting, infomative, and a bit one sided. I have used Deep Ocean salt when starting out and it was fine for a fish only tank, for corals no way. In fact I heard one day that the company that produces it was sold and the salt is primaraly used as a lobster salt of some kind (not really sure if that is fact or fiction.) Then I switched to Deep sea crystals, hated it, changed the PH of the tank to quickly, at least that batch. Then went to Instant ocean, never a problem, never. Wish I could afford my own independant study but if I had that kind of money I would buy things for my tank.
Sometimes this issue like the s-15 report needs to be taken with a grain of salt. :)
No need to beat a dead horse people, give your opinion and move on. Kudos for keeping it pretty civil though. If it goes elsewhere I have to let Strong Bad out of his cage to deal with it.
j/k :D
Thomas