Salt Mixes.....What are you using????

kiefers

too true..... I find with the reef crystals i have to clean my pumps more often than most tho. It seems to gum them up. Nasty brown slime build up and the pump slow down

deejeff442

no doubt .but once you get into the thousands of dollas invested in corals .you have to start looking for the best.i have been on the aquavitro for 8 or 9 months and my corals have grown out of hand.in fact me and tangsrule will be trading fish for corals soon.i have way too many frogspawns,shrooms and polyps going on now.need to make room for some more sps

2quills

Shawn I'm thinking about heading up to my local place today for some supplies. If the manager girl is in there I'll ask her some more questions about that salt. They carry it on their shelves and the pricing is on par with most of the reef blend salts. They did tell me that's what they use so I'll ask them about sediment build up and what not.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using#post_3420051
Going by that chart I don't see any benefit going with reef crystals over the regular IO. Maybe a little extra silicate and boron, but also higher in phosphate.
HOLY SHAMOLLY.....I never noticed the phosphate thing....MAYBE I should go back to regular IO?????
I never had an issue with it.....just thought the IOreef was better for my corals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers
http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/20#post_3420065
too true..... I find with the reef crystals i have to clean my pumps more often than most tho. It seems to gum them up. Nasty brown slime build up and the pump slow down
HMMM.....so very true.....I have to clean my pumps and my mixing containers quite often

deejeff442

my favorite lfs has it.he uses it in all his store tanks.it comes in a 225 gallon bucket .and thats at 1.026 not like io 150 gallons at i think 1.022.
it last a while and i pay $90.there are a couple other lfs here that have it but thier price is over $100 .so no thanks to them.
really if you can find it try it .you will never go back to io

meowzer

I found it......It seems the online sources are VERY pricey

SO how about the Seachem salt I posted above? The listing on it seems good

deejeff442

never tried it.keep in mind maybe do the math its 225 gallons at 1.026 io 150 gallons at 1.022 you might get 125 gallons from it at 1.026.they say every batch is lab tested before it is boxed up.to me and all the money i have in my tanks i wont change.but lucky for me i get it local.well 50 minute drive.you know we live in the country and 50 minute drive is pretty local lol

deejeff442

found it on an ebay store $110 for 225 gallons at 1.026
free shipping
now IO is around 125 gallons at 1.026 for $50 so 150 gallons at $100 a bit more so i dont know if you add shipping to your orders or not.gotta do the math but seems to me its around $15 more for the aquavitro for 250 gallons worth.a bucket lasts me 6-7 weeks for my 250 and qt

meowzer

JEFF....I pay $48 for a 200G box of IO Reef Crystals with FREE shipping. OH and a $5 gift certificate LOL....that IMO is a big difference