Salt Mixes.....What are you using????

al&burke

Hey I bought a bucket of the Aqua Vitro just mixed some up - it says to use it right away, don't know about that. I really like the lid on this product.

bender77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/180#post_3425548
Hey I bought a bucket of the Aqua Vitro just mixed some up - it says to use it right away, don't know about that. I really like the lid on this product.
That was my first thought with the bucket too LOL Really right now I have a blue mushroom that is expelling zooanthelle. I have no idea why the other blue mushroom looks fine and all other corals look fine. I have no idea if it's the salt or something else. My light is only 3 months old. Who knows?

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/180#post_3425548
Al the bucket of salt I have states in fact that the hobbyist should if possible wait 24 hrs. after mixing before introducing the water into their tank
BTW chlorine tablets for pools have been sold in buckets with those type of tops for years

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/180#post_3425554
Al the bucket of salt I have states in fact that the hobbyist should if possible wait 24 hrs. after mixing before introducing the water into their tank
BTW chlorine tablets for pools have been sold in buckets with those type of tops for years
YUP/.....it says it CAN be used right away but if possible the hobbyist should wait 24 hours......
I also love the top....NO HAMMER NEEDED LOLOL....

snakeblitz33

Instant ocean also says that it can be used immediately, but should wait 12 to 24 hours for the gasses in the salt mix to equalize it with atmospheric CO2 or something like that...
I'm temporarily switching to Instant Ocean standard for a few months until I can put in an order for some Saltwater Correct sea salt to test it out.

snakeblitz33

There's something wrong with that link. I don't know if it's working for anyone else, but it's not for me.
There are people who do mix their salts together for the different properties. Most of the time, these people opt to mix natural salts with synthetic salts to get the best of both worlds.

al&burke

Well just for the record I did my first water change with the new salt Aqua Vitro Salinity - see what happens - mixed nice still a bit of stuff in the bottom of the gardage can though - could be from before.

florida joe

In my case i believe it’s much too soon to see a difference. 10 g of new saltwater in a 110g + system. I change 10G weekly so I would think I need at least 2 months to see if I have any substantial benefit

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/180#post_3426275
In my case i believe it’s much too soon to see a difference. 10 g of new saltwater in a 110g + system. I change 10G weekly so I would think I need at least 2 months to see if I have any substantial benefit
I agree...with the 225G..I change 40G 1x...I will be doing another one this weekend...I also think I will need some more time to judge

bender77

Right now I'm still mixing my aqua vitro with my oceanic until I'm out of oceanic. It's been about 1/2 and 1/2
I have a 12 gallon nano that I have now changed 4 gallons in. So far one of my blue mushrooms looked like it was expelling zooanthelle, but that has now stopped, it's a bit shriveled and still blue so IDK. I've had problems with the blue shrooms in this tank suddenly bleaching and dying leaving just 1 or 2 that will reproduce and spread and then it happens all over. So who knows.
I have a green finger leather/kenya/colt coral in the tank that has been small and not really changed for a long time, this morning I looked at it and it looks like it has doubled in size overnight. Otherwise no other real change.
I have a 37 gallon seahorse tank that has had a total of of 14 gallons changed. I do large changes on this tank due to the messy horses. Most of my cyano I fight with is gone and a lot of algae is gone. May or may not be coincidental. I have a xenia and a kenya tree in this tank and they are doing well, but haven't noticed any other changes.
I have a 24 gallon nano that has had 8 gallons changed. this tank is an absolute mess right now after a heater malfunction and a crazy pistol shrimp, other than 1 colony of zoa's everything has died in the tank and even they look sick. Haven't noticed any changed in that tank, but I"m hopeful LOL

meowzer

About to do w/c #4........This will be 4 weeks in a row.....after this one I am going back to every other week.....
I'm still having fuzzy algae issues....and some brown on the sand....in 2 weeks, I am going to do a w/c FROM the sand.....(YIKES) LOL....I would have done that today, BUT I can not reach the bottom and my helper is hunting :(

acrylic51

Meowzer anything note worthy? How big of a water change have you been doing? When you do you sand bed remember not to do the entire sand bed at 1 shot......Other than that you'll be just fine doing it.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/180#post_3430993
Meowzer anything note worthy? How big of a water change have you been doing? When you do you sand bed remember not to do the entire sand bed at 1 shot......Other than that you'll be just fine doing it.
40 gallons each time....and YEAH....I have noticed some slight changes....not with everything though...like my ricordeas, blastos, and leathers look amazing.....other stuff looks ok....
I am going to do the center of the tanks sand first I think.....2 weeks from now

meowzer

WELL.....I was thinking about ordering another bucket, BUT it seems the online availability is slowly declining, and I am not paying $150 for it :(

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/180#post_3432626
WELL.....I was thinking about ordering another bucket, BUT it seems the online availability is slowly declining, and I am not paying $150 for it :(
Drat....I had the opportunity to swing by a LFS that might carry it. I guess it might be a good thing because I am not about to drive 3 hours for a bucket of salt.

wangotango

I've used Reef Crystals, Seachem and now Oceanic (because I can get it for cheaper). Havn't noticed any major differences between them, and suffered no ill-effects by changing.

luvmyreef

So, is everyone basically saying that the aquavitro is better partly because of the potassium it contains? Why can't you just dose a potassium supplement like the brightwell aquatics product? Of course testing to see if you need it...just asking....