Salt! Red Sea Coral Pro?

shista

Hi everyone. I know there is a lot of discussions on which salt is a good salt, but i cant find the right one to buy... I have a reef tank and am currently using Instant Ocean. The best salt that i have found is Red Sea Coral Pro, but have also heard it has low alkalinity.. Anyone out there that knows which is the best salt?

btldreef

A lot of it is personally preference and what you're keeping.
Personally, I hate Instant Ocean and Red Sea salts. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals is decent and usually easy to find.
I LOVE AquaVitro Salinity (SeaChem's premium line). I swear by it, but it can be difficult to find depending on where you're located. Tropical Marin Pro and ESV are also great salts. You'll find that with better salt comes a hike in price.

nikesb

the new Red Sea Coral Pro has new numbers and is no longer a low alkalinity number. I know some guys that have had great success with it. As for best salts, it really depends on your setup.
When I was vodka dosing, I had great success with Reefers Best Salt and Tropic Marin Bio Actif.
Tropic Marin Pro is really good too, but cannot justify the extra cash for it. I've been fine with reef crystals for the past 8 months though. I like the higher numbers in magnesium it has

shista

do any of you guys know the numbers in Red Sea Cora Pro? or numbers in Reef Crystals? or any numbers of any other?

nikesb

red sea coral pro should read close either 9-10dkh on an api test kit. but should read around 8.2 on a salifert kit. this is because salifter is formulated for saltwater and it is more close to what most reefers run. heres some other numbers
Quote:

Salt Product

Calcium

Alkalinity

Magnesium

Aquatic Gardens

Brightwell Neomarine

CoraLife

Crystal Sea Marinemix

Crystal Sea Marinemix Bio-Assay

D-D H2Ocean

Instant Ocean

11div>

Kent

Marine Environment

Oceanic

OceanPure

Red Sea

Red Sea Coral Pro

Reef Crystals

Reefer's Best

SeaChem Marine Salt

SeaChem Reef Salt

Tropic Marin

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Tunze Reef Salt

shista

this list is really handy... I like the numbers of Red sea coral pro, but calcium seems high... What I was thinking is that, as corals consume alk and calcium, would'nt i want those slightly higher numbers so that it stays stable?

nikesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shista http:///forum/thread/385391/salt-red-sea-coral-pro#post_3379340
this list is really handy... I like the numbers of Red sea coral pro, but calcium seems high... What I was thinking is that, as corals consume alk and calcium, would'nt i want those slightly higher numbers so that it stays stable?
490 is a perfectly fine number for calcium. if you want it to stay stable, 2part dosing would be a good method, but not the only method. it depends how much calcium and alk your system uses up. mine uses up ~40-50 ppm of alkalinity and calcium DAILY, so i have to add alk to my top off and i dose calcium before the lights turn on, and once again in the afternoon

calbert0

I swore by Tropic Marin for years, then in October 2010 I bought a bad batch and it really screwed up my tank for a while before I could track down that it was actually my salt mix that was causing the problems. I had used Tropic Marin for so long with such great success, the last thing i thought it could be was my salt mix.
I will never buy Tropic Marin salt again.
I recently switched to the normal Red Sea salt mix, (not the coral pro version) and am extremely happy with the results. My tank showed immediate improvements. The price is also right.

nikesb

while you may not trust Tropic Marin again, may I ask what was in the bad batch that caused the problems?
I've had bad batches with both seachem reef salt and reef crystals

btldreef

Bad batches happen, that's why you should test before adding to your tank. It can help a lot.
I had good luck with Brightwell's for 2 5G buckets worth, than got 2 bad batches in a row and will never go back to them. It happens. The levels were terrible and I was dosing constantly. I knew they were bad because I tested ahead of time, but the buckets weren't cheap so we just used our two part to get through it. I tried Red Sea Coral Pro back in the Fall of 2010 and was very unhappy and even had a phosphate reading.
Out of all the salts I've tried, I've had the best luck with Coralife (I know, surprised me too), AquaVitro Salinity (by far the best I've tried) and Tropic Marin Pro.

shista

ahh... once again i don't know which salt to buy... Everyone has their own story of what is good and whats not... I'm still standing by Red Sea Coral Pro, even though my mind is changing

geoj

Pick one and use it, and if you kill everything off, well then don't run with knives

From the point of view of someone that doses, I would pick the one with the highest Mag and the fewest complaints about bad batches...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shista http:///forum/thread/385391/salt-red-sea-coral-pro#post_3379572
ahh... once again i don't know which salt to buy... Everyone has their own story of what is good and whats not... I'm still standing by Red Sea Coral Pro, even though my mind is changing

shista

What salts do you guys think have the highest calcium magnesium and alkalinity levels? I'm trying to do as least dosing as I can, and a lot of those numbers seem hard to believe according to numbers that people have posted.