Salt! Red Sea Coral Pro?

btldreef

It's completey dependent on what is in your tank (corals and inverts), what you're feeding everything, how often you're doing water changes, how strong your mechanical filtration is, etc.
There is no one right answer. You could use a salt with the highest numbers, but if the tank is packed out with huge clams a d SPS colonies, chances are you'll have to dose.

shista

i see.. But i still think it would be a good idea to add a higher number salt so the dosing can be less.

nikesb

honestly, a higher salt in a demanding tank virtually does nothing but keep more constant results. its not gonna prevent you from dosing less, thats for sure.

shista

okay... I dose alkalinity and calcium but have never tryed anything else. I hear a lot about iodine and magnesium but have never considered it yet.

nikesb

magnesium levels should be fine with a good salt. as for iodine, i wouldnt dose it at all unless you saw levels that werent satisfactory that would inhibit invert growth

shista

okay good, i was hoping not to add more to the dosing. I am currently just staring a reef tank. I have had FOWLR for a year and just bought some small zoos and a kenya tree... My goal is to probably have softies; like zoos, mushrooms, polyps, frogspawn, GSP, and stuff like that. I am thinking about buying Oceanic. I narrowed it down to red sea coral pro vs Oceanic

btldreef

If you're not venturing into SPS or any of the "harder" LPS, you should be fine and not have to dose with any quality salt on the market. It's when you get into the clams, SPS, etc that you have to really worry about dosing.

shista

That changed a lot hahaa... But softies still consume calcium and alkalinity, but at a slower rate right? Would Oceanic have too much calcium and alkalinity then? Which one would you guys pick between Red Sea Coral pro and Oceanic? or any other.

nikesb

softies only consume calcium and carbonate at very very very low trace amounts. you wont see your parameters swing because of softies. for you, i think you'd be fine with either salt, even reef crystals

shista

Okay. On the box of Red Sea Coral pro, it says that it is specifically made for RO water. I use bottled Distilled water from the supermarket that is purified by steam distillation, filtered and ozonated. Would this be good to use with it?

nikesb

theoretically distilled is much better than ro, but its not always the case. some times things slip by manufacturers but it will be ok