Salt vs. Salt what's the best?

turningtim

I just ran out of my Coralife salt mix and was just thinking what Ya'll use. I'm not married to anything and have used a couple of different types.
Are there ones better than others?
Just curious and would love to hear opinions from folks not trying to sell me something!
Thanks, Tim

robchuck

I used Instant Ocean for a LONG time (going back to 1986). I started using Oceanic last April when I ran out of IO, and still use it now. For what it's worth, I've never had any of the problems with Oceanic that others have reported.

trainfever

I was in the hobby 20 years ago and have recently returned. Back then, the only choice you had was either real sea water or Instant Ocean mix. When I got back into the hobby, I was recomended Serasalt mix. It's not bad. Right now I just bought a 5 gallon bucket of Crystal Sea mix. It seems OK to me also.

maeistero

rock salt, like the kind used for homemade ice cream. either that or boil ocean water off and use the residue.
just kidding, i've never thought about using anything but instant ocean. actually, i don't believe there's any other brand available around here surprisingly. i'd say that as long as you check your salinity mix well before adding it to the tank during water changes it should be good. some salts take longer to dissolve probably. i think that i would stick with the same brand name forever, just in case. a buck extra is a lot cheaper than the things in my tank that depend on me.
superstition(sp?) or no?:notsure:

lion_crazz

I used to use Crystal Sea and it was fine for fish only (because you don't need to worry about calcium, etc.) However, when I got live rock, inverts, corals, etc. Crystal Sea was just not cutting it. I started using Oceanic and I love it.

T

tizzo

I used Instant ocean and the calcium and magnesium levels were to low.
Now I use Oceanic and the alkalinity levels are to low...
I will stick with Oceanic til somebody makes a perfectly balanced, quick dissolving, available at my LFS, salt.

neoreef

I am back to Coralife. Still have some of the 680 Ca level coralife leftover from when I quit using it to try Oceanic. Got a new bucket of Coralife when the Oceanic appeared to give me an algae problem and I became discouraged by it and its 650 Calcium level as well as it's 2x cost. My new bucket of Coralife has a more reasonable Ca of 450. I still use the 680 for a 10% water change when my Ca is a little low. I just add it in real ssslllloooowwwww.

acrylic51

Been using Reef Crystals since 1993 and then last year tried Oceanic, but have since switched back to Reef Crystals. My tank does better with Reef Crystals