Saltn00b's Multi-Phase Upgrade Diary!

saltn00b

Hi all as the title states, i have begun the planning and a few steps into a multiple - phase Upgrade for my tank!i welcome all comments, hints , tips, and suggestions, and of course constructive criticism.
a little history:
-started the hobby in march '05 with a 75g FOWLR
-upgraded to (used) custom built reef ready acrylic 150g in jan'06 and started with corals soon after.
-i moved 12/8/06 which spurred the timing for the upgrades.
the tank move to the 150g was the stem of my current problems. I was ignorant to the true needs of a reef system and had not researched as much as i should have. I got a good deal on the tank and set up, but over time it became clear to me that it was quite lacking for a truely capable modern reef.
1) the tank was drilled, but it has only one center overflow column with 1" bulkhead. this allowed me a maximum turnover rate of 600 GPH.
2)The sump was a wet/dry, and installed in the custom built cabinet that allows for a maximum internal height of 21" and depth of 15" (72" long, so close to 70" internal ). The Return pump is a Little Giant 4-MDQ-SC, which is rated around 675 GPH at the 5' estimated head height. All other flow in the system would be a rio 3100 pushing the AquaC EV-180 skimmer, and the PH's in the tank, 4x Rio 600, 1x Rio 1100. put simply, weak.
3) The Custom Canopy is a shallow design, maybe 4.5" H and is retrofitted with 2 72" T-12 VHO's powered by an Icecap 660. the bulbs are on the rear half. This lighting is grossly underpowered and has only been able to allow my corals to survive barely. There has been almost no growth whatsoever in 12 the months running. The only exceptions were some swaying xenia that grew and split to about 6 -8 times frag size (lost in the tank move), GSP's have creeped along my rock, growning about 2 square inches, and a few metallic red mushrooms have gone for walks.
With these three limiting factors i was also plagued by high nitrates for a while, over 50 ppm, and phosphates between 1.0 and 2.0 ( at least within the last 4 months). I have since been able to drop the Nitrates down to 20-25.
So these factors inspired me to perform a series of upgrades.
for problem 1) Install a CLS (Closed Loop System) with manifold

reasoning :
- removal of PHs. -
- will streamline and get rid of the bulkyness inherent with PHs.
- Remove the excess heat generated from PHs. (CLS pump will be inline)
- Increase GPH and in-tank flow to be at ideal levels.
for problem 2) Custom Build a Sump/Refugium

reasoning :
- Baffles placed will stop the current microbubble situation
- Custom building is the only answer because the stand is annoyingly low, therefor i could not simply purchase a 75g tank and place baffles in it.
- Macro algae and DSB will help and possibly completely fix any remaining nitrate and phosphate problem
- will provide a safe haven for even more pods to thrive and provide fresh food for all.
- more overal tank volume for more water stability
- more LS and possibly LR for more phosphate absorption.
for problem 3) Build a new Canopy with a new lighting system, T-5

reasoning :
- the current set up is simply too weak
- T-5 will allow me to keep virtually any coral, including SPS (as long as i dont go too heavy i can avoid a calcium reactor)
- T-5 bulbs run very cool, and will not cause heat problems
- T-5 bulbs use minimal wattage to save on electrical bills
- T-5 bulbs need replacing every 1 - 2 years so save money on replacements
- T-5 do not need massively tall canopies for housing, as in certain heights from the surface.
i am going to try to document as much as i can for all to learn from, and if you have a question ask, because it is likely burning someone else's mind as well. we are all here to help! thanks for your time!
:happyfish

saltn00b

When i moved the tank to my new house on around 12/15, it was just me, my brother Jeff, who posts here as Isistius, and my friend Bill came to watch and take pics. Im waiting on those pics but will post those when i get them.
With their help, and then later, without it, it took 3 trips (8 miles or so) and 17 hours! Some of which, was taking the opportunity of the tank being empty to drill the back piece of acrylic, and add my two 1.5" bulkheads, PVC off the back joining them to a T, and then closing it off with a Ball Valve. This is the initial work for the CLS, and it is the Drain. The rest of it will be completed after the upgrades are complete, because it is the least important IMO right now.
I also took the time to place cut sheets of eggcrate at the bottom of the tank. I made three pieces. This was done to be a sturdy frame work for the LR to sit on without shifting. Also I believe BangGuy mentioned that it keeps some extra water flowing through the sandbed which is always beneficial.
The first attempt at that was during the initial tank move, and i messed up. I tried to force the sheets down through the sand that was already there, and it turned out the sheets were all about one inch off from the bottom of the tank. The next week i came back (so as to not disturb everthing too much as they already are all stressed from the move) and over 2 days, and 2 shifts, placed the coral to one side, removed all rock, shifted the sand the best i could, and placed each sheet down as neatly as possible.
I added 40 LBS of LS to the tank during this operation which immediately dropped my phosphates down to the lowest recorded level i have seen, .04.
A small addition that i added was a phosBan Reactor, added 1/3/07, so hopefully the flow is set up on that correctly and will continue to drop the phosphates down significantly.
Since the move, I have purchased
Below is what the tank looked like before the move.
actually, almost a year before, so i have gotten some coral since then.
pictures post move coming soon!

saltn00b

as of this morning, 1/5/07
i went to the very nice guy at Source One Plastics in FTL, and picked up my 8' x 4' x 1/4" piece of clear acrylic for planning and construction of the refugium this sunday with Jeff. more to come on that.
below is the basic plan that i have come up with thus far for the fuge.
dimensions are not on it, but wil be added.

reefkprz

you drew that out in paint.. you have too much free time......
just kidding looks like a good plan to me.
what are you gonna use for lighting over the sump?

saltn00b

i needed something to do with all of my free time at work :)
i havent thought about fuge lighting at this point honestly. this weekend i will have a better idea of how long the actuall fuge area will be. what are the common choices? PCs? Home Depot type halogen work lights?

isistius

ACTUALLY MIKE- YOU MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT A FLUORESCNT GROW LIGHT. SOMEWHERE IN THE 6500k RANGE. I MIGHT EVEN HAVE A 30" STRIP U CAN HAVE.

reefkprz

I like PC on mine just one 64w actinic/10k doesnt drain a whole lot of power and is plenty of light to grow cheato under, (I actully just finishe dremoving all the caulerpa from my sump switching to just cheato) I must have thrown out like 3 lbs of caulerpa and a pound and a half of halimeda. alot of people use regular plant flourescents. or regular dayligh bulbs. (the self ballasted screw in type with a clamp lamp.)

saltn00b

I got a hold of the pics from the other week finally, so here is the progress of drilling the holes in the back with the tank empty, from the move.
i think its 2 5/8" holes required for 1.5" BHs

Adding water to cool off the blade and keep melting to a minimum

Bulkheads attached, no wrench large enough but hand tightened held fast with no leaks to date.

pieces fitted and glued

LR laid out!

On the stand!

In place, filling with water - so far so good!

ball valve closed off, no water leaking!

saltn00b

1/7/07 - 15 hours construction time.
raw material cost - close to $160.
I picked up the 4' x 8' sheet of 1/4" acrylic 2 days before, it turned out to be more than enough!.
here it is in the garage awaiting its fate!

We decided to re-evaluate the plans for the fuge last minute, because it occured to me that the space the tank was away from the wall from the CLS structure actually was far enough (by ~1") to double as spacing for the Skimmer, which could then be raised on a stand, and hence allowing more overall Fuge volume, by A) eliminating the 10"+ space needed for the skimmer footprint, and B) not being restricted to only 6.5"H in the highest chamber, because of the strange placement of the gate valve.
Additional bonus for this adjustment:
- The skimmer will no longer be re-skimming the same water!
- Unidirectional Sump Flow
- Tank Drain does not need extra plumbing for a T, or ball valve etc etc.
Here is the final plan.

So we went to HD and got the last minute materials and tools for both the fuge and the skimmer stand we would need to build on the fly!

step 1)We pulled the existing sump and everything else out and cleared the cabinet

Using a few cardboard boxes taped together we built a mock-Sump to make sure we would be able to slide it into the cabinet.

This turned out to be a great idea, because there was no real way to tell what would fit. We needed to make several micro-adjustments to get the final product dimensions.

reefkprz

this is great. this will be the first thread I have ever subscribed to.
umm... that is if I can figure out how.

saltn00b

step 2)
We cut the whole sheet up using a table saw - carbide 10" x 200 tooth blade, according to the new schematic, and marking each piece on the paper backing.
step 3)
we assembled the Skimmer stand using the 2x4, some wood screws and some spare acrylic for height refining and lip to keep the skimmer for slipping off.

placed and fits - LLLLLike a glove!

step 4) assembly of the fuge!
this took the bulk of the time. We noticed that clean cut edges, especially if there is only 1 edge involved, it is easy to get the liquid glue to respond with the capillary reaction, setting with minimal air bubbles, and dries quickly. as you start involving multiple joints, and the pressures being exerted on them, takes the glue a little longer to set.
ONE THING that i would do differently for another project is get a few more clamps, The more clamps you have, the quicker the project goes. We could have shaved HOURS off the project time.
bottom, Side, and 1 end were the first to be glued, to create a self supporting three-dimensional structure.

nearing completion

VOILA!

Water tests will be conducted tonight!

isistius

holy cr*p! you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much free time on your hands to be completing 15hr projects!!!!!!!
:hilarious

eagerly awaiting the water test results

***)

saltn00b

last night i added the top support braces and performed the water test!
i only filled the first chamber 75% of the way before the leaks were aparent.
so far, only one small leak in the corner (external)
and each of the baffles on the ground allow a little bit of water through, as water made its way all the way to the last chamber, creeping along the bottom. small leaks in the baffles are not my biggest concern, but i re-applied glue to all areas that i noticed. will re-test tonight!
i guess some leaks are expected for a first project, created with pieces cut with not the greatest tools. the slight imperfections are rearing their head now, but hopefully by tonight problem solved.

saltn00b

the patch up work from the other night yielded better results last night. but not quite perfect.
the corner that was giving me difficulties held fast, all the baffles held, save for one slight leak, which shouldnt matter. The whole thing filled up and the last chamber which was giving us a little trouble during construction had the expected leak. there was also a miniscule 1 drop / 5 minutes leak in a main chamber joint. all of these issues were addressed with a reapplication of #33 i believe. thats the thick goop used for fixing holes, as opposed to #3 very thin liquid.
something of note when working with acryllic:

maybe someone can chime in on this, but when coming back to a glued structure and reapplying the thin liquid glue #3(?) to fill up any gaps that were left, small 1" hairline fractures in the acrylic appear as the second coat hardens. im not sure as to why this happens, but i am thinking that it may cause some expansion.

saltn00b

i was waiting to take the pic with it filled and no leaks LOL
otherwise my hands are too wet too risk messing with the camera :D
hopefully that pic will be taken tonight and posted tomorrow morning

J

jrthomas40

thats pretty awesome...i think you will have to change your name now as you are no long a noob

saltn00b

heh thanks! i am still a noob in my mind with many things, although i do change my title every now and then depending on how confident i am feeling about SW aquaria in general.

isistius

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
thats pretty awesome...i think you will have to change your name now as you are no long a noob
:hilarious
i beg to differ