Saltwater & Spouses Don't Mix

egill

I can't take my wife to the lfs, she spends more then I do!!! Last visit went in to buy a goby and walked out with $600 in new supplies and coral, lol.

meowzer

Originally Posted by EGILL
http:///forum/post/3102194
I can't take my wife to the lfs, she spends more then I do!!! Last visit went in to buy a goby and walked out with $600 in new supplies and coral, lol.
LOl....I'd take her every time then

lil.guppy

This is MY hobby just like he likes to work on cars. He needs to understand that. On the other hand, if your hobby is causing issues with the family finances I can see why he would be upset.

casper1875

I'm not causing issues with family finances. I'll be turning 47 this October. The kids are now adults, and now it's my turn. I'm still there every Saturday at the races. I never tell my husband he can't go fishing, hunting, crabbing or to play frisbee golf. I'm glad that he has the boys and that they have him. It really is expensive to start this new tank, but as always I shop as smart as I can. I read and do a lot of research.
All my money goes into our checking account. I never ask him where our money goes. He pays the bills and then when I need something I ask him if it's alright.
He just doesn't want to help me with it. I can't do some of these things by myself. I support everything he does. I bought him his hunting rifle, his compound bow and the case. I spent hours looking online for frisbee discs.
When I filled the 180 with water to check for leaks I was so excited. I felt like a kid at Christmas. He thought I was crazy because it brough tears to my eyes and I kept going down to check on it.
I don't understand how someone can shoot something as beautiful as a deer, but when he comes home from the mountains I'm out there with my camera taking pictures and congratulating him.
He went crabbing on Saturday and Sunday, we didn't have a race last weekend. On Saturday I was getting my water ready for a water change on Sunday and I did not ask him to lug out the water. It's my hobby and I'll do it, but when it comes to plumbing and moving very heavy equipment I need some help.

flpriest

Originally Posted by casper1875
http:///forum/post/3102026
Thank you all for the advise.
I used some reverse psycholigy.
I told my husband I'd join a local reef club, and then get some of the guys to come over and help me set it up.

The next night he had to go somewhere and when he came back found me downstairs getting the rest of the water out of my tank. He also noticed that I moved some things around and was organizing everything. He says "What are you doing?"
I told him I was getting things together so that when the "guys" come over I'll have things ready.
Next thing I know he's helping me get the rest of the water out of the tank. Going over plans to install a new water line and talking to me about the sump.
Friday night comes and he helps me install the new line for the RO/DI unit.

I didn't even have to ask.

I wanted him to love this as much as I do, but I don't see it happening. At least he's helping now. Maybe over time he'll learn to enjoy it.
The things women have to do.

Ahhhh, jealousy... The green monster... you ladies are pure evil... MWUUAHAHAHaaaa!

hey, it's a start!!
Maybe one day, not too long from now, he'll be gazing at the tank more than you do...

meowzer

CASPER...LOL...Look what's on the wall in my "fish" room....I get sooo excited when I see deer in our fields, I'm gazing at their beauty as he is measuring their racks...LOL
Attachment 229205
$300 to get it mounted.....and if he gets another...we will have that done too...Like I just ordered my Maxima Clam.....
I do the finances, and the funds are available for both hobbies.
(of course he wants to go on a red stag hunt...lol..he can go after we go to Aruba
)

flpriest

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3102363
CASPER...LOL...Look what's on the wall in my "fish" room....I get sooo excited when I see deer in our fields, I'm gazing at their beauty as he is measuring their racks...LOL
Attachment 229205
$300 to get it mounted.....and if he gets another...we will have that done too...Like I just ordered my Maxima Clam.....
I do the finances, and the funds are available for both hobbies.
(of course he wants to go on a red stag hunt...lol..he can go after we go to Aruba
)
NICE rack!!