Saltwaterauctions.com

keebler

It's more organized and instead of a dibs system, there is a bidding system. Just my 2 cents. I gaurantee that more people will use it because it is more secure, therefor you can get what you want easier. I think it's cool. Good for swfish.com

What a JOKE. Totally bad move on saltwaterfish.com's part. You can't tell me the buying/selling on here is taking a considerable chunk out of their profit. Their main profit is made on fish, and there are very few fish sold on here. Next, they don't sell tanks and very few pieces of equipment, so that should also be taken out of the equation. Maybe saltwaterfish.com should consider that the people who sell/buy on here save them a lot of time and trouble. The people who buy and sell are the same people who help newbie's out, answer compatability questions, is this too many fish for my tank?, etc.. People on this forum are the ones that answer those questions so that saltwaterfish.com doesn't get flooded with emails. If I didn't have a lab paper due this would be about three pages long, so I'll sum it up because I'm a little hot. This is a total stab in the back. If this really happens as planned, I'll just switch forums and throw as many digs toward this site as possible. I've found some good deals in the classifieds and have been given a lot of help in the forums, but in my opinion, this is totally uncalled for. Real cheap guys.....

mr_x

i say it's good. however, i think SWF should watch the sellers forum and learn from it. frags sell, and multiple frags with a single shipping cost are more attractive to people than bumping it up for extra pieces.
our local stores are finally catching up to this way of thinking- who wants to pay 100 dollars for a large coral when they can buy a piece of it for 25?
they all have little frag sections in their tanks now.
it's just the way things are going.
i know i'd rather grow my colony from a frag than purchase it mature. it seems like cheating.....
+1 on the better quality drygoods too.

rebelprettyboy

On some other forums the regular selling forums is completly locked to new vistors until theyve been a memeber for 90 days. Like you can even look into that part of the forum period! And I feel thats a great way to keep it to hobbyist and not just get 50 post in 2 days and sell stuff....

rebelprettyboy

But dont get me wrong I love the way saltwaterauctions is layed out and everything. Just dont like the extra fee. Thats the only part I have a problem with. But Im about tolist something newayz to try it out!!

flricordia

I have been looking the site over and signed up. I think it is going to be great. Our own little auction place. Auctions are fun, we can keep them in the community and still be able to buy and sell from our private collections/growouts.
The fee is not bad at all either. For a nice, informative post it would only be a couple bucks and doesn't even need to be that much, can be free listing. 5% of final sale is OK too considering it will keep the site going and private for SWF community.
I'm all for it. Working on placing a listing myself.
I do think that it should be 4 listings for each category a month. Livestock separate from drygoods. Not that I ever have any drygoods for sale, but just seems it should be that way.

flricordia

Originally Posted by AquariumRookie
http:///forum/post/2815153
What a JOKE. Totally bad move on saltwaterfish.com's part. You can't tell me the buying/selling on here is taking a considerable chunk out of their profit. Their main profit is made on fish, and there are very few fish sold on here. Next, they don't sell tanks and very few pieces of equipment, so that should also be taken out of the equation. Maybe saltwaterfish.com should consider that the people who sell/buy on here save them a lot of time and trouble. The people who buy and sell are the same people who help newbie's out, answer compatability questions, is this too many fish for my tank?, etc.. People on this forum are the ones that answer those questions so that saltwaterfish.com doesn't get flooded with emails. If I didn't have a lab paper due this would be about three pages long, so I'll sum it up because I'm a little hot. This is a total stab in the back. If this really happens as planned, I'll just switch forums and throw as many digs toward this site as possible. I've found some good deals in the classifieds and have been given a lot of help in the forums, but in my opinion, this is totally uncalled for. Real cheap guys.....

But the classifids will still be available, jsut a different forum and an auction. The listings do have the option to do a BuyITNow price. I do hope that because this is SWF community we are not planning on doing the b-eay thing and sticking it to each other with outragious prices and shipping. I doubt that is going to be happening though. We seem to be on the most part a fun, close community. Maybe I am wrong though.

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2815179
But the classifids will still be available, jsut a different forum and an auction. The listings do have the option to do a BuyITNow price. I do hope that because this is SWF community we are not planning on doing the b-eay thing and sticking it to each other with outragious prices and shipping. I doubt that is going to be happening though. We seem to be on the most part a fun, close community. Maybe I am wrong though.
I've only been around for a little bit, but I do know that it def. is a tight community. If people wanted to do something like b-eay, they would just go there. Like somebody said before, every forum offers a free classifieds. And I guess I wouldn't be mad at all if saltwaterfish wasn't charging. They get plenty of money from their business and sponsors. This is def. gonna hurt the community though - less sellers, less buyers. We are already behind reefcentral, this is just gonna give ppl more of a reason to make the switch.

howardj

I, too, think this is a mistake, I really don't like how this is all going to be played out.
I really don't like the 5% deal.. 3% paypal, AND 5% swf..

robertmathern

I agree with MR X. For the most part the buyer like me is going to pay the fee any way. So as long as people keep a good deal going we will be willing to pay. And for those that cant play by the rules all I have to say is bye bye. Go to another forum with less good of deals ( some are good ) but far less advice. Think when you think about googleing a question about something where do you end up. Enough said, MR X any many others like him with good frags keep up you will always have buyers here.

The discussion isn't about googling questions regarding the regular forum, its about the classifieds and principle that the site wants a piece of the pie because they can't keep up with the coral deals

robertmathern

No thats exactly the point. Think of how many post are on here and how many people it helps. Now think of who has to pay for it. How many fish have you bought from them. Now think of my answer again. And answer with respect for the people who let you just post that. And how much they pay for you not to give them something. That was my point.

1990jpyj

i really dont like the switch for a few reasons:
1. i dont like the idea of paypal- thats y i dont go on the *-Bay
2. they will limit how much you can sell- i havnt sold anything here but i dont like to know if i do i can sell and more then 4 things. cuz im not gonna have a huge list to sell 10 at once.
3. they take 5% of the sale. thats not cool to me
it does have a few good things though:
i do like that its more secure
and that it is monitored better
i love SWF.com i have bought all my fish and everything from them. i found the forum because of one of the women that i talked to about an order directed me to this. my only problem is that they do not sell any equipment at all. if they sold equipment i wwould be happy. but they odnt so i guess i cant really complain. i love our classifieds cuz i can just take a quick look trough there and see whats for sale. then work it out with the buyer. i have only bought 1 thing on here and it was sort of local but it worked out fine.
if they really wanted to fix the problem of ppl just coming on here and just selling they should make it so that they need to have a 2:1 ratio. to post general forum: sale posting but that might not work either.
i dont like it but i guess i will have to give it a try.
not a good move very sad that SWF.com is doing this
but thats my .02
but i am still happy about all the items that i have bought from them

quakstar

I would have to say that for this sites first real advancement in a while to be to charge its hobbiest to trade and sale their pieces is an awful idea. Over the years i have watched this site if has only changed this will be the 2 time. If someone was really wanting to auction their stuff off their are auction sites for that. better organized better connected to people why not just go there and probably pay the same amount of fee with more help

I too think its a bad idea, I think pretty much every forum I go to there is a private sale sections, from guns to car parts. The board doesnt take any of the money as part of a fee. If they want to make money off the board why not have a "donating member" label? Most other boards already do that.

frogdog

Originally Posted by lighteningthes
http:///forum/post/2815744
I too think its a bad idea, I think pretty much every forum I go to there is a private sale sections, from guns to car parts. The board doesnt take any of the money as part of a fee. If they want to make money off the board why not have a "donating member" label? Most other boards already do that.
+1
donating members to get access to an exclusive forum/ classifieds...

stdreb27

It in and of itself is an interesting idea in addressing the abuse that goes on in the classifieds section. This might work if this were the "top site" on the list of sw forums. However it is not. And there are no barriers to using other sites for selling in the classifieds section.